Search This Blog

Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Hearing Trumpet

About half way through The Hearing Trumpet by Leonora Carrington now. Not at all what I expected. The importance of dreams and symbolic imagery is evident very early, but the significance of the symbolism escaped me. I felt that Carrington was using her own experiences, so I've been doing some research and find that it is probably true, but in the surrealistic vein of an artist-- so much is still beyond me.

I was not at all familiar with Carrington, for whom Max Ernst left his wife, but she was part of that group of surrealists that included Ernst, DuChamp, Breton, Picasso, and Dali...a heady combination. Here is a biographical link that gives a brief overview of her life and work. Here and here and here are some of her paintings.

Her paintings, I find, appeal to me. I'm not at all sure of my opinion of the book. Perhaps, now it will make more sense (I know the novel is surrealist in nature, but I'd still like to better understand and maybe even enjoy it).

No comments:

Post a Comment