Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What's Goin' On...in the South and Elsewhere

Maggie has a new challenge-- The Southern Reading Challenge 2007 and she has several interesting posts in connection to the challenge, including one called Dueling Southern Authors.
I'm still pondering the question of which Southern author is the Southernest, but man, I do love that bottle tree, Maggie!

Cheya at A Reader's Journal has reminded me that I haven't read any of Anne Perry's WWI novels (I've read most of her Victorian novels; I especially like the William Monk and Hester Latterly series). WWI novels have always interested me, so I'm going to have to find time to catch up with Anne Perry's new historical/mystery series.

If I were going to be in New York on May 2, I wouldn't miss this for the world -- Charles Vess will be giving a lecture on the art of the fantastic!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks! I hope you can join. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only tried a few of the Thomas & Charlotte Pitt series by Anne Perry and I didn't like those too much. The settings were well done but I could never feel a real sense of knowing the characters. I'd like to try some of her others though. I'll have to check otu the Monk ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. iliana - I agree. In the Inspector Pitt series, the characters are more of a method to move the plot. I prefer the Monk and Latterly novels; the characters develop from one book to another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the relationship between Monk and Latterly. You nailed it right on the head - the characters and their relationship develop from one good story to the next.

    If you are even slightly interested in WWI, you will love Perry's new series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's great! In that case I will definitely add the Monk series to my mystery reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might just have to join in that Southern Reading Challenge. Three books might be do-able. I just bought the first WWI mystery by Anne Perry thanks to the review on A Reader's Journal, too. I have only read some of her Inspector Pitt novels.

    ReplyDelete