Search This Blog

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Poet of Lochness

Corrigan, Brian Jay. The Poet of Lochness.

Another debut novel, this is the story of Perdita Miggs, who is able to return to Scotland after a 17 year absence when her husband gets a grant to study Loch Ness.

The writing is lovely and the story begins in a way that makes you feel you know the destination, but want to make the journey anyway. Then there is a hiccup. Hmmmm. What is going on here? And another...

The narrative is more about what lurks in our hearts and minds than about Nessie, about relationships and insight rather than about high adventure...but there is mystery and definitely suspense.

I look forward to future works by Corrigan.

Fiction. 2005. 302 pages.

11 comments:

  1. Hmm, this sounds a bit different. I think I'll go ahead and put it on my list. Wouldn't mind a trip to Scotland :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound interesting, and as Iliana said, different. Thanks for the great review, Jenclair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This just went onto my Amazon list - it sounds wonderful. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. iliana - I really enjoyed the book. I've been to Scotland twice and loved it both times!

    LF - It is an interesting story line (actually, two or three intertwined story lines)!

    teabird - Oh, those Amazon lists...mine is just ridiculous. Just can't keep from adding to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this book sounds pretty good! I will have to check it out. Nice cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenclair, I began this book, and quit, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it had to go back to the library? I don't get the impression you loved it. Is that right? Should I try and get it again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nan - The book seemed to be one thing in the beginning, but changed into something else. There were some hints in the beginning, and I picked up on them, but they didn't take me where I expected. At least twice. I did like the book and liked that it was able to surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kailana - I enjoyed the book and the setting. I like the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cover. I would probably buy it just for that, but it sounds interesting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Any book based in Scotland intrigues me and this one sounds very interesting. The cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Framed - It was interesting -- I love the cover, too.

    Paula - Scotland always fascinates me, and the plot is good, too. It surprised me a bit because I thought in the first chapter or so that I knew where it was going...then it didn't go there.

    ReplyDelete