Search This Blog

Friday, October 31, 2008

Still As Death

Taylor, Sarah Stewart. Still as Death.

This is the 4th mystery in the series following Sweeney St. George, the art historian who specializes in funerary art. I read the first not long ago, and the library didn't have the second and third books, so I skipped on to the fourth.

Sweeney has been working toward an exhibition of funerary art for quite some time and the exhibit is about to open. However, when an Egyptian funerary collar that she would like to include is missing, Sweeney begins to become curious about the last person who had studied it, a 1979 robbery of the museum, and the suicide of the young woman interested in the collar.

There is a romantic element as well when Ian tries to persuade Sweeney to return to England and Detective Tim Quinn turns up to head the investigation into current robbery and murder.

Not a bad little mystery, but after the two very dense and thoughtful mysteries by Tanya French (Into the Woods and The Likeness), I should have waited to read a mystery-light.

Fiction. Mystery. 2006. 304 pages.

3 comments:

  1. I should catch up on this series again, the whole funerary art stuff is oddly fascinating. I think I'm up to book three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the first two in this series years ago and still haven't read them. I need to finish what I'm doing with my trip journal and get back to reading. Don't get me wrong, I still read everyday, just not as much as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iliana - I have to go back and pick up books two and three, but I like the funerary art aspect, too!

    booklogged - There are many days when I read a little, but either don't have time or don't have the inclination for a good session. It all goes in cycles, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete