Search This Blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

In Progress

Yesterday another ARC arrived. A very small book from Houghton, Mifflin by the name of Genesis. Kind of...out of the blue.

I have about 6 books in the works and 2 reviews to do, but because this one was so short and the format looked so different, I opened it and read a few pages--until I finished it because I couldn't put it down. I think I'll re-read it today.

Here's the thing that really captured me: synchronicity. I'd begun reading Steven Pinker's How the Mind Works and the first chapter parallels much of what is going on in Genesis. The difference between the mind and the brain and the idea of consciousness are both explored in a similar manner. Pinker's is nonfiction, Bernard Beckett's is fiction, but the similarities make the arrival of Genesis a strange coincidence, a little quirk of fate. Especially since I don't remember ever being offered this book; it just arrived.

I still need to review Dark Moon Defender and Fault Line and will do those before reviewing Genesis, which will give me more time to re-read and think about it.

Quest the First (5 books of fantasy, fairy tale, or mythology) in the Once Upon a Time Challenge is completed, but I will probably continue reading the genre until the Challenge officially ends.

Completed so far:
The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, and The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner
The Thirteenth House and Dark Moon Defender by Sharon Shinn

Good reading to all of those participating in the Read-a-thon.

6 comments:

  1. Did you see that Sharon Shinn had two new books out later this year? One is a short story collection that has connections to four other books...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful when you start reading and can't stop?! Just the other day someone mentioned to me the difference between the mind and the brain. I had not thought of it before. Thanks for the info on the books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Synchronicity" is a great way to describe that serendipitous surprise book. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when your reading takes on a life of its own and one books leads to another. What a nice surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kailana - She really is prolific, isn't she? I love connections to other stories!

    Curtissann - Yep, I do love that feeling!

    bookfool - Very interesting! I'm finding it difficult to quit thinking about Genesis...

    Lisa - And that timely coincidence when books have something in common that you didn't expect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful synchronicity! I'm looking forward to your review. And, congrats on finishing your quest! Oh wow, I'm so behind. I'm only in the middle of the first book. Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete