Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2009

White, Karen. The Lost Hours.

Unfortunately, The Lost Hours, an Advanced Reader's Copy, did not appeal to me. I looked forward to it because I love secrets, especially old secrets that come to light and change perceptions.

However, from the very beginning, I began having doubts about this one. Piper Mills, the main character, wasn't very appealing and nothing "felt" right or in any way believable to me. I was never able to enter into the story and remained an observer, and a critical observer at that.

It is often referred to as a mystery, but I found it more in the romance category in spite of attempts to guide it elsewhere. I looked up some reviews and found them mostly ENTHUSIASTIC. My feelings were exactly the opposite. Hopefully, Deslily will have a better opinion than I do.

Other reviews: (2 enthusiastic) Peeking Between the Pages, S. Krishna's Books, and (1 negative) Madeline's Photo & Book Blog.

Fiction. Romance? 2009. 368 pages.

7 comments:

  1. Too bad cos it looked good, dunno where I would stand, love it, hate it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find it so interesting when one person loves a book and one person hates it! Sorry you didn't enjoy this one...we all get those kind of books every once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. utoh.. sorry you didn't like it.. what with my packing and such to move I don't know when I will get to the book..I hope something in it appeals to me (the review on amazon did or I wouldn't have entered the contest)..i hope you enjoy your next book more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blodeuedd - :) We are all so individual in our preferences. The majority of reviews were positive, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

    Obsessed Reader - I've been so lucky this year in my reading; there have only been 2-3 books that didn't appeal, so I can't complain!

    Deslily - I thought it sounded like something I'd like, too, but I nitpicked all the way through. I'm in the minority on this one, so I hope your experience is better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean about a book "not feeling right" or "believable" to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds interesting--I also like those stories with a mystery and some secret in the past. Maybe this is a good one to get from the library--just in case it's not my thing--no money lost.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa - Yes, I guess we all experience that feeling. And what comes across for one person, just doesn't for another.

    Danielle - It does sound good, and evidently, a lot of people really liked it. Just not me...

    ReplyDelete