Search This Blog

Monday, November 09, 2009

By Heresies Distressed


Weber, David.  By Heresies Distressed.

The third in Weber's Safehold series, By Heresies Distressed allowed me to return to that world  I first visited in Armageddon Reef.  I loved it, but I am a huge Weber fan.

I don't advise reading this series out of order.  I've reviewed Armageddon Reef here and By Schism Rent Asunder here, and they give a bit of the background, but this just isn't a series that would work well without a chronological reading.

This installment deals with several battles as Caleb moves against the enemies who attacked his kingdom, and as usual, Weber is a dab hand at making battle strategy and tactics fascinating.  Sharleyan is busy trying to manage the kingdom of Charis in Caleb's absence.

The Church and State political component continues to interest me as well, but Weber's ability to bring each character (and their are so many) to life is the major factor in making his newest world a real one.

I couldn't decide whether to be disappointed that the story is still not complete or delighted that there is at least one more novel to look forward to.

Fiction.  Science Fiction.  2009.  475 pages.

3 comments:

  1. I keep thinking I need to read this author and never do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too need to read Weber sometime.

    I don't understand why sometimes folks read books in a fiction series out of order. I have a friend who will sometimes do that. I don't understand the point. How can you judge the book or the author if you step in during the middle of the story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kailana - Big old chunkster books, but LOTS of fun! Try the Honor Harrington series!

    Carl - The Honor Harrington series is an old favorite. Weber can handle so many characters, making each one 3 dimensional. I love his descriptions of technology and his battle tactics.

    I have begun many series in the middle; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It really depends on whether the library has all of the books in the series.

    You can read the Honor Harrington books as stand-alones, but it much more fun to read them in order.

    Weber's new Safehold series, however, almost requires reading in order.

    ReplyDelete