Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Howe, Katherine.  The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

I tend to enjoy books that have interwoven story lines of past and present, books with lost or hidden manuscripts, and books with a little modern day supernatural and witchcraft...and I also tend to be especially critical of any elements in them that release me from the fantasy and make me voice objections.

Although I enjoyed the book in some ways (and loved the cover), I kept thinking it read like one of those beach reads that require little from you and simply provide a way to pass the time.  Or a YA novel that didn't quite deliver....

The novel was plot-driven, but even that was pretty predictable.  The villain was quickly identified, his reasoning unbelievable, and he descended from predictable to caricature.

Once again, I'm just stating my own perception of the book.  I'm aware that many readers loved it, but while it provided a little entertainment for an afternoon,  I found The Physick Book disappointing and not  particularly memorable.

If you'd like details of the plot, check the link to Amazon.com.

Fiction.  Historical Novel/Supernatural/Mystery.  2009.  362 pages.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree - this one just didn't do it for me. I could see all the plot points coming without even having to read the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who wasn't bowled over with this one!

    ReplyDelete