Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Maids of Misfortune by M. Louisa Locke


Maids of Misfortune:  A Victorian San Francisco Mystery sounded like it would fit the R.I.P. Challenge, but it didn't.  Annie Fuller is a young widow who runs a boarding house and works as a clairvoyant on the side, giving advice on investing.  Her father was as investment banker, and since women weren't accepted in the financial world of 1879, Annie uses her alter ego, Madame Sibyl as invest advisor.

Then one of her favorite clients is murdered, and Annie is determined to discover the culprit.

A cozy mystery that just didn't work for me.  Couldn't believe in the characters, plot elements were cliche, and knew the villain very early on.   I guess it was an average read, and I suppose many will enjoy it, but  I'd looked forward to this one, and it didn't deliver.

Fiction.  Mystery/Historical novel.  2009.  386 pages.

2 comments:

  1. And this sounded like it had so much potential! So is this a series? I like the psychic and victorian elements but I guess I'll just have to check it out and see what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she may intend a series, and the next one (if there is a next one)may be better. I would have liked more of the psychic element, but it was just a subterfuge for her financial advice.

    ReplyDelete