Search This Blog

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cellar Door

This article in the New York Times discusses words that people find beautiful.  I read Tolkien's remark about "cellar door" years ago, but was surprised to find that those words have been mentioned by many others.

Beautiful words that I can think of right off-the-bat...murmur, wander, meander, peregrine, lilting, moonlight.  Poets and fantasy writers are especially likely to use and coin beautiful words, which may explain my love of both.

New June Mystery/Crime Releases that interest me:

Jan Burke - Disturbance (an Irene Kelly mystery)
Craig Johnson - Hell is Empty  (Walt Longmire mystery)

New ARCs that have arrived in the last several days:








Monoculture by F.S. Michaels

What I'm reading now:
Nemesis by Jo Nesbo

Books I've ordered:


The Brain that Changes Itself  by Norman Doidge (I read a library copy 2 years ago; want my own copy)

Chime by Franny Billingsly (recommended by Nancy the Bookfool)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (recommended by Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings)

Awareness Through Movement by Moshe Feldenkrais

I have several reviews scheduled and a few more to write, but I'm catching up!

4 comments:

  1. The comment about cellar door was mentioned in the movie Donnie Darko, so it has always stuck with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kailana - Tolkein's mention stuck with me, too. I thought the idea originated with him, but the article indicates that others before him also noted the musicality of the words..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished Monoculture a couple days ago but have written about it yet. I found it rather interesting and look forward to knowing your opinion of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stefanie - I expect the book to be informative and look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete