Search This Blog

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lists and DNF

 Are you one of those individuals who love lists?  I am.  I make them, lose them, find them, usually too late to make use of them. And I enjoy reading lists that other people make.

Dickens now qualifies as my favorite list maker of all time.  He created this list of fake books for his library at Tavistock.  And then, AND THEN...he had a bookbinder create the fake book backs and added them to the shelves.   (found via Mary's Library--thanks, Mary!)

The first few titles from his list:

History of a Short Chancery Suit
Catalogue of Statues of the Duke of Wellington
Five Minutes in China. 3 vols.
Forty Winks at the Pyramids. 2 vols.

My embroidery interlude appears to be waning, and I'm enjoying a return to the reading cycle.  I'm so ready to immerse myself in the Once Upon a Time Challenge and have finished The Summoner: Book I of the Necromancer Chronicles by Gail Martin.

Today, I have a trip to the library scheduled to see if I can find some of the titles I've added to the list of possibilities for the challenge.  I love our library, and although they don't always have the books I'm looking for, I usually find plenty to keep me busy.

In the DNF file:  Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi.  I got half way through, sometimes thinking I'd like it, then openly bored, then a little interest...until I finally decided I didn't really like Mr. Fox, or Daphne, or Mary Fox enough to continue the strange little chapters of stories that were only vaguely connected.

I really enjoyed The Icarus Girl by Oyeyemi, and even enjoyed much of her style in Mr. Fox, but the fairy tale variations didn't engage me--or maybe they did, but they didn't satisfy.  It would have been a good read for Once Upon a Time, but just didn't work for me.

Great cover, though, don't you think?  Has anyone read this?  What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. Okay, creating a list of fake book titles sounds fun--actually having them created and put on a shelf--!!!! I suddenly feel fonder of Dickens than I ever have before. :)

    Have fun with the Once Upon a Time challenge. I'm already diving in and enjoying some fairy tale retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl - :) I agree--this whimsical side of Dickens is so appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard lots of good things about Mr. Fox and even had it out from the library, but I haven't read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kailana - I'm really curious about what others think about Mr. Fox. It is an innovative book, but the content wasn't something I could care about.

    ReplyDelete