Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Legacy of the Claw (Book 1 of the Animas series) by C.R. Grey

Animas is the first book in this series by C.R. Grey.  The Animas bond links humans to animal, a mutual sympathy and understanding.

Bailey Walker, however, is one of those rare and unfortunate humans with an Absence.  He has not found his kin yet; not having awakened to his bond at his age means he is mostly an outsider, an object of ridicule, and a human with a tremendous sense of emptiness.

When Bailey is accepted to the prestigious Fairmount Academy, he has high hopes that one of the teachers, known for his skill in awakening and strengthening bonds, will be able to help him.

At Fairmount, Bailey makes connections with some true friends, something he has lacked before, but his hope that his bond will awaken has still not been fulfilled, and he senses something dark in the forest surrounding the campus.  At the same time, revolution is brewing in the city, as the leader of the Dominae's propaganda is inflaming the populace and encouraging humans to enslave their animal kin.

Things are getting dangerous, and Bailey and his friends are uneasy about the unrest.  Is there anything they can do to prevent this horrific threat?

I did not expect to enjoy this one as much as I did.  Written for a younger, middle-school audience, it nevertheless kept me interested.  One for the grandkids?  Very likely, but I will also eagerly anticipate the next in the series.

Read in June.  Blog post scheduled for Oct. 8, 2014.

NetGalley/Disney Hyperion      


Fantasy/Juv.  Oct.  28, 2014.  Print length:  324 pages.

4 comments:

  1. I find it hard not to enjoy stories like this, and I am glad it turned out to be a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy - I think Legacy of the Claw will be a good series for young readers, but it is also one that appeals to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds interesting. I'm glad to hear this book is an enjoyable one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melody - I'm an eclectic reader, and I enjoy good books for children. This one was interesting!

    ReplyDelete