Search This Blog

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Mostly Mystery


In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming

Book Description:     It's a cold, snowy December in the upstate New York town of Millers Kill, and newly ordained Clare Fergusson is on thin ice as the first female priest of its small Episcopal church. The ancient regime running the parish covertly demands that she prove herself as a leader. However, her blunt manner, honed by years as an army pilot, is meeting with a chilly reception from some members of her congregation and Chief of Police Russ Van Alystyne, in particular, doesn't know what to make of her, or how to address "a lady priest" for that matter. 

I enjoyed this novel and plan to read more in the series.

Purchased.  Minotaur Books

Mystery.  Reprint 2012.  Print length:  308 pages.


Chambers of Death by Priscilla Royal

I've enjoyed all of the previous books in this series, so when I was having a difficult time finding books I wanted from NetGalley, it was time to return to another medieval mystery.

Book Description:  When one of her company falls ill on a return journey to Tyndal, Prioress Eleanor accepts lodging at a nearby manor. The hospitality may be warm but the underlying passions among the steward's family are scorching. Master Stevyn's wife is having an affair with the groom while a local widow acts more like the lady of the manor than the lady herself. Stevyn's eldest son and spouse are obsessed with sin and heaven, while his youngest son, bound for the Church, unexpectedly returns with more interest in lute playing than the priesthood.

Murder, of course, can be expected.  The problem is that I didn't much care for this sixth book in the series.  Any series can vary in quality, but I'm not sure if that was the reason I didn't like it as much or if I'm growing a bit tired of the tension between Eleanor and her favorite monk. 

Purchased.  Poisoned Pen Press

Medieval Mystery.  2009, 2011. Print length:  261 pages.

Valley of Dry Bones by Priscilla Royal

Book Description: In the late summer of 1274, King Edward has finally been anointed England’s ruler, and his queen contemplates a pilgrimage in gratitude for their safe return from Outremer, a journey that will include a stay at Tyndal Priory.

I liked this one better than Chamber's of Death, but still wonder if by the 7th book, my interest in the characters is waning.  Maybe it is time for Ralf to have a story entirely to himself.  Or Sister Ann.  Or for the plots to have less to do with Eleanor's troubling attraction to Thomas.

I still love the history included in the books, especially Royal's Author's Notes and Bibliographic source material.

Purchased.  Poisoned Pen Press

Medieval Mystery.  2011.  Print length:  245 pages.


The Murder at Sissingham Hall by Clara Benson

Book description:  On his return from South Africa, Charles Knox is invited to spend the weekend at the country home of Sir Neville Strickland, whose beautiful wife Rosamund was once Knox's fiancee. But in the dead of night Sir Neville is murdered. Who did it? As suspicion falls on each of the house guests in turn, Knox finds himself faced with deception and betrayal on all sides, and only the enigmatic Angela Marchmont seems to offer a solution to the mystery. This 1920s whodunit will delight all fans of traditional country house murder stories.


Clara Benson wrote during the Golden Age of Detective Fiction, but none of her books were published until after her death.  She wrote for her own enjoyment and for her friends; I wonder how famous she would have become had she been published during her life time.  At any rate, I love this genre and enjoyed the novel.

Mystery.  2013.  Print length:  262 pages.

Paradigms Lost  

Bad choice of cover.  The book is a light read about a data miner named Jason, his psychic friend Sylvie, and his new client, a vampire.  But the novel is more science fiction than a typical vampire story.

Some interesting ideas, but not terribly satisfying.  

Read in Oct.

NetGalley/Baen

Science Fiction.  Dec. 2, 2014.  print length:  544 pages.  




  

13 comments:

  1. I've read about 4 of the Julia Spencer-Fleming series and really enjoy her laid-back style of writing while featuring a female priest: nothing preachy, syrupy or slow-moving. I recommend all her books!
    The other books I will check out, as mysteries are my fave genre, so thanks.
    By the way, this is Rita_h from My Home of Books. I have a new blog and new profile pic and name, but it's still me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out another of Spencer-Fleming's books. :) Will be checking on your new blog!

      Delete
  2. Wellllll...just ordered two of the 5...of course I had to have the Spencer Fleming that takes place in upstate NY with the Episcopal priest...we've had two female priests in the last 15-20 years in our little Ep. church in our little village. And the Clara Benson sounds cozy and fun. Now if it would just stop being summer here in SoCA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Girl! Should have known you would be interested in a book set in upstate New York. Whew, we've had weather here for the last week that we don't usually get until January, if at all. Very strange having lows in the twenties around here, especially so early.

      Delete
  3. The Murder at Sissingham Hall really appeals to me from this list. I have read the Bleak Midwinter one but couldn't warm to the series, sadly. Just not a good fit of characters and scenarios for me (put on a jacket before you go outside in the snow!!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Golden Age of Detective Fiction and find it interesting that Benson never published her novels during her life time.

      Delete
  4. In the Bleak Midwinter and The Murder at Sissingham Hall sound good to me! Will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed both of them. I've just gotten caught up on P.J. Tracy's novels. Have you ever read any of the Monkeewrench mysteries?

      Delete
    2. No, I have not read any of P.J. Tracy's novels. Will have to check out the Monkeewrench mysteries, as well.

      Delete
  5. These all sound intriguing! I think In the Bleak Midwinter is already on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found Julia Spencer -Fleming's name listed at the back of one of Louise Penny's novels, so I had to try it!

      Delete
  6. I want to read the Sissingham Hall one, and I've read In the Bleak Midwinter. I think I read three in the series, and then one that took place in 24 hours, and for some reason it put me off the books. I really should try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack. Hate it when one book dulls the interest in a series, but a mystery in 24 hours sounds like a race!

      Delete