Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

She Shall Have Murder by Delano Ames

Written in 1948, shortly after WWII, this is a funny mystery that gives an interesting view of postwar Britain and introduces two characters that Ames liked well enough to continue through a total of twelve books.  And I liked well enough to know that I want more of Dagobert (!) and Jane.

from the Book Description:  Dagobert Brown’s always got a new hobby. He's been through Gregorian chant, wildflowers, sixteenth-century French poetry . . . But his latest hobby is murder—or at least, the murder mystery he wants Jane Hamish to write. 
Jane is the practical one. She only has one weakness: Dagobert, who exasperates her and intrigues her in equal parts. “Dagobert is my hero,” she says, “but he persistently refuses to act like one.”   

I have to admit that this book surprised me with its humor and modern edge, and I'm eager to read more of this amateur detective series!  

NetGalley/Manor Minor Press

Mystery/Detective Fiction.  1948; 2014.  Print length:  299 pages.


6 comments:

  1. Dagobert and Jane sound like quite a pair. I am glad to hear the book is as funny as it sounds--and that it's an entertaining mystery to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is old-fashioned and modern at the same time. Great characters!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Not exactly Golden Age Detective, and the plot is slow to develop, but the characters make up for it. :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this one. Sounds like it's a good entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delano Ames' novels are now being re-published, and I'm glad that they have been rediscovered!

      Delete