Search This Blog

Monday, October 12, 2015

Crimson Shore by Preston & Child


Crimson Shore by Preston & Child     

There is a kind of cultish element involved with following these books.  They can become an addiction that you laugh to yourself about because the books are so absurd, but that fact doesn't deter me you in the least.  OK--yes, I'm speaking for myself.  I would no more deny myself an Agent Pendergast book than I would refuse popcorn.   

Crimson Shore has Pendergast and his ward Constance Greene taking a case about a missing wine collection because the victim of the theft is a sculptor whose work Pendergast admires and the wine is a case of Haut-Braquilanges '04.  Pendergast will exchange his services for one bottle of the rare vintage wine.

 Once they arrive in Exmouth, Mass., they discover a secret room in the cellar, a connection to The Cask of Amontillado, a murder or two or more, a centuries old shipwreck, a coterie of witches....  Well, you get the picture.  

Constance's role has increased in the last few books and continues to develop in this one, but none of the other familiar characters make an appearance.  Crimson Shore has Pendergast and Constance working as a duo on this case.

The books are preposterous and, if you like this kind of thing, great fun.  I started reading them in the 90's when a student recommended Relic and have continued to enjoy them ever since.  Great choice for the R.I.P. Challenge.

Read in August; blog review scheduled for Oct. 12, 2015.

NetGalley/Grand Central Publishing.

Mystery/Paranormal/Horror.  Nov. 10, 2015.  Print length:  352 pages.  

6 comments:

  1. I like these books, too! They're a very fun thrill ride. And Pendergast is such a unique character; I really like him. I didn't know they had a new book out, so thanks!! I'm very excited to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't resist them. Pendergast really is unique!

      Delete
  2. I'm still on the fence regarding this series but Pendergast sounds like an interesting character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series isn't going to appeal to everyone--part thriller, part horror, and totally unbelievable. But fun!

      Delete
  3. It's been so long since I read one of these books. I loved the ones I did read and yet I stopped somewhere along the line and never picked them up again. They really are fun books. I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever NetGalley offers one, I'm on it. :)

      Delete