Search This Blog

Saturday, February 24, 2018

On Books and Reading

The Right Book Will Always Keep You Company  
https://ebookfriendly.com/ads-for-books-bookstores-libraries/

I love the quote, of course.

Interesting articles about books and reading:

Lionel Shriver says, "politically correct censorship is damaging fiction"

Why Books and Reading Are More Important than Ever by Will Schwalbe

I use all of the reasons to read that Schwalbe mentions. 
 To relieve stress, general avoidance, anxiety, etc.


Stop Reading Books that You Don't Actually Enjoy  by Nick Douglas

Sometimes I keep reading because I don't have a back up, but usually, 
I add books I'm not enjoying to the DNF  list.

Your Favorite Book Characters Are as Real as You Feel They Are by Claire Fallon
 "A new study performed by The Guardian and researchers from Durham University suggests that they are, in a way. The study found that, for 19 percent of readers surveyed, “the voices of fictional characters stayed with them even when they weren’t reading.” This included readers having thoughts in the voice of specific characters, experiencing narration of their life by a character, or simply having their own thoughts influenced by the tone or perspective of a character. " (from above link)


And, of course, because books are so influential, there is the idea of book banning or censorship.  Blume's quote follows on the ideas that Shriver puts forth in the first link.

It’s not just the books under fire now that worry me. It is the books that will never be written. The books that will never be read.

–Judy Blume

16 comments:

  1. I love your little embroidered saying 'I might read until I feel better'. Absolutely. Reading is my refuge from the storms of life. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading is a refuge, isn't it? Escaping from reality is sometimes necessary for our mental health. :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! Couldn't agree more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark! Reading can be entertainment and still provide so many other positive benefits.

      Delete
  3. I know so many people that don't read..even a newspaper. I have wondered why I have such a love for reading, but it always comes back to the fact that reading was my escape from an abused childhood. I have wondered why, when we were first married, my husband didn't understand my love of reading and why he resented it. Luckily he has gotten over that. I fear that Google has taken over the top place to obtain knowledge for the younger generations. I am certain I will never abandon my love of books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! I read all the links and agree with them. Reading is my escape, my enjoyment, my stress-reductor, my source of chatting with other bloggers.

    Love your needlepoint, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are interesting links, aren't they? I love fiction, but fiction often leads me to nonfiction, which doubles the pleasure. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful works of embroidery and such an awesome post. I always counter that people who don't enjoy reading may not have found the right book. At the same time how will they ever find the right books if there is censorship, library budget cuts and on and on. Love the links you shared - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana! I love embroidery and combining it with book quotes is fun. I'm glad you enjoyed the links!

      Delete
  6. Love your embroidery works. And thanks for sharing those links, Jenclair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post (and I see the source of your blog name :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks, Ruthiella! I have always loved that Chinese proverb.

      Delete
  8. I love how the good books always stay with us. Love your embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for posts about reading! Thank you for sharing the links, Jenclair. Will Schwalbe's article particularly resonated with me. And sometimes those characters or the world authors do seem quite real for a time and influence us in one way or another, however subtlety.

    ReplyDelete