Search This Blog

Monday, March 05, 2018

The Echo Killing by Christi Daugherty

I love Savannah, but Christi Daugherty's The Echo Killing is not the Savannah of the cobblestone streets, lovely architecture, and many parks.  Daughtery's Harper McClain is a crime reporter and her job takes her to places other than the tourist mecca of Old Savannah.

Harper's mother was murdered when she was twelve, and when another murder takes place that echos the murder of her mother in surprising detail, Harper is compelled to investigate further.  Despite some discouragement from her mentor who doesn't believe the killer is the same one that murdered her mother, Harper continues digging.

And while the murder itself is eerily similar to that of her mother, the victim is an entirely different breed.  Is the killer the same one becoming active again after fifteen years...or is it a copy cat?  

Suspenseful.

Read in December; blog review scheduled for 3/5/18.

NetGalley/St. Martin's Press

Mystery/Suspense.  March 13, 2018.  Print length:  368 pages.  

15 comments:

  1. Is it a 3-star, or a 4-star read? 'Cause the mystery part sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave it 3 stars on Goodreads, but I rarely give 5 stars and most other reviewers rated it higher.

      Delete
  2. Sounds suspenseful enough. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was suspenseful, and I am interested in seeing how this first in a new series progresses. :)

      Delete
  3. I could always do with a new author and their version of suspense -- intriguing book, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a mystery series set in Savannah--such a beautiful city!

      Delete
  4. I don't read many crime stories but a murder mystery is always a good mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a good read to me, a lover of suspense and mysteries! Even getting 3 stars from you is a good endorsement because you're more subdued in your ratings than I am :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my ratings vary from what I read just before and after. The way I feel about a book depends to some extent on how good the previous and successive books are. :)

      Delete
  6. I've never been to Savannah but I always imagine that it must lend itself to these types of stories with it's rich history and beauty. Will have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although this book does not present the beauty of Old Savannah, it is still an interesting setting.

      Delete
  7. I love love love this cover, and I love mystery books, so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since I live in New England anything set in the south gives me that instant slightly exotic feeling of mysteriousness :)

    ReplyDelete