Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2018

Paper Ghosts by Julia Heaberlin

Julia Heaberlin's novels are set in Texas and radiate her attachment to the state and the wide assortment of people who inhabit it.  My favorite is still Black-Eyed Susans, but Paper Ghosts is and entertaining puzzle involving Grace, a young woman whose beloved older sister disappeared when Grace was twelve.  

Grace has spent the intervening years searching for clues, determined to discover what happened to Rachel.  Carl Feldman, a gifted documentary photographer, was once suspected of the murder of several young women across the state.  Now, he is an old man who suffers from dementia.  

Grace considers Feldman a good possibility to have kidnapped and murdered her sister.  She visits the home where he is being cared for claiming to be his daughter.  He agrees to accompany her on a road trip to visit the locations of some of his eery photographs.  At times, Carl seems a bit lost, at other times, you question the dementia diagnosis and worry about what Grace has gotten herself into.  After all, if Carl is guilty, she has put herself in a dangerous situation.

While parts of the narrative are fascinating, there are some slow and repetitive sections as well.  From Galveston to Marfa, the two tour the locations of missing women and of many of Carl's photographs.

I liked this novel despite some slow spots and an ambiguous conclusion, in which you learn some answers, but by no means all.

Playing Dead, Black-Eyed Susans, and Paper Ghosts, each have a character with dementia. Since there could hardly be a family in America who hasn't felt the heartache of Alzheimer's or some form of dementia, either within their own family or the families of friends and colleagues--it seems appropriate.

Heaberlin's acknowledgements include interesting personal comments about some of the elements that went into the creation of Paper Ghosts, including the grandfather who shot crime scene photographs; her friend, Texas photographer Jill Johnson; and the eery photographs of Keith Carter. 

Read in November; blog review scheduled for April 23, 2018.

NetGalley/Random House/Ballantine

Mystery/Suspense.  May 15, 2018.  Print length:  368 pages.

14 comments:

  1. I can't believe I haven't read either of her books since they are set in Texas. I know this one is very new, but I've had the other one for quite a while. I took a look at the author's biography and wasn't surprised to see that she grew up in Texas and currently lives in the DFW area. I suspect I will enjoy both books, partially because of the location, and partially because I am so very drawn to books with characters dealing with dementia/Alzheimer's. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's definitely a Texan, Kay, and draws on real places and events to create her characters and plots!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed the two books I've read by Heaberlin and am looking forward to this one. I don't mind slow parts if I'm wrapped up in the story. I am glad you liked this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was certainly wrapped up in the story. :)

      Delete
  3. I heard mixed reviews about Black-Eyed-Susans. Normally I really like ambiguous conclusions, just as long as there has been enough supporting evidence for what ever my personal theory may have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Black-Eyed Susans. I think the ambiguity in this novel's conclusion is appropriate.

      Delete
  4. I still need to read Black-Eyed Susans! This one sounds really good, too. Guess I'll add it to the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've Black-Eyed Susans in my pile and it looks like this one is a must-read, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This one is one I've been dyyyying to get my hands on! I am hoping I can get through the repetitive parts *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper Ghosts uses the photographs in such an imaginative way. The slower parts didn't deter me at all. :)

      Delete
  7. What a risky move on her part going on a car trip with someone who is a suspect, even if he is elderly and ailing. Very interesting for sure!

    ReplyDelete