Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2018

Past Tense by Lee Child

How Jack Reacher always manages to find trouble is a mystery.  In Past Tense, Reacher starts out with a plan to travel from Maine to California, but only gets as far as New Hampshire before taking a detour.   

Finding himself near the town where his father grew up, he decides to check out a little family history and discovers that some of the history is apparently not there. 

Not far from the little town of Laconia, a young couple's car breaks down, and they follow a sign to a motel in the middle of nowhere to see about the damage and contact a mechanic.  From the minute they hit the reception desk, the sense of wrongness is apparent.  In spite of having an idea about where this is going, the tension I felt was enormous.  Spoiler: (Think Bates Motel and The Most Dangerous Game)

In the meantime, Reacher continues to check public records for information about his father's family.  Oh, yeah, he also stops a young man from forcing himself on a woman, inviting retribution from a mob family and protects an old man from other bullies.  

This isn't my favorite of the Reacher books (of course, there are 23 novels in the series), but I wouldn't have missed seeing what he was up to for anything.  My favorite part was finding out what was in the suitcase!

Read in July; blog review scheduled for Oct. 22.

NetGalley/Random House

Crime/Suspense/Mystery.  Nov. 5, 2018.  Print length: 400 pages.
----------

An interesting article in The Guardian:  How thrillers offer an antidote to toxic masculinity.  Excerpt:

The hero myth is most powerfully embodied today in thrillers. These books tend to feature men with shoulders broad enough to carry responsibility, responsibility they often don’t want to bear. They’re not afraid to pick up a burden and hold on to it. They’re not afraid to help others. They live by a code: protect the helpless; follow your own moral compass; employ minimal necessary force (which is different to abstaining from violence). This code is the thread that connects Beowulf and Gilgamesh, Marlowe and Spade, Reacher and Bourne. My own hero, Evan Smoak, aka Orphan X, is derived from this same tradition.

The take-away is mostly that we need heroes who may be violent men but who will stand up for individuals and communities who are being victimized.  I've read all of these characters in both the epics and in novels,  and was surprised to see Orphan X here, because I only recently read and reviewed it.  I think John Connolly's Charlie Parker fits in here as well since Charlie Parker is always battling against supernatural evil.  I'm not sure about "minimal necessary force" with any of these characters, but otherwise, I agree that they do protect the helpless.  


12 comments:

  1. I could go for a Jack Reacher book about now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Can't help but look for each new Reacher adventure!

      Delete
  2. I've only read one Jack Reacher book. I figured I'd have a lot to catch up on should I decide to continue with this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although some of the books go in for Reacher backstories, each book functions as a stand-alone and is complete in itself. They are violent, but Reacher is always the good guy who saves the day.

      Delete
  3. I think I would add Lisbeth Salader to that list. She is also fearless and has her own moral compass. I heard that Larssen wanted her to be a modern day Pippi Longstocking.

    I've not read any of teh Reacher series. Should I start with book one or is there a particular title you would recommend? I am getting better at allowing myself to read things out of order. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the article was about was about heroes who don't exhibit toxic masculinity, there should be one about women who defy passive roles to be fearless advocates against evil and corruption! Lisbeth certainly would top that list. :)

      I checked to see which novel I read first in the Reacher series, and it was Gone Tomorrow #13. I went back and picked up all the earlier novels and every new one, and it really doesn't matter if you read them in order.

      Delete
  4. That is an interesting take on thrillers and toxic masculinity -- I have to go read the rest of it too. Also -- I have not ever read a Jack Reacher novel and I can't decide if I should jump in right now or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Powerful loners who stand up for the oppressed and endangered, but don't abuse their power. In real life, it is difficult to fine folks who don't abuse their positions of power so I guess we have to create fictional heroes.

      Delete
  5. There is something to be said for those lone heroes in fiction. It's not wonder so many people turn to these types of books for comfort. I know I do sometimes. I have only read one Reacher novel and wasn't all that impressed. I may give Lee's work another try someday but it's not high on my list of reading priorities, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I do enjoy them, but some appeal more than others. You are right that the idea of a lone hero is sometimes comforting--even when you don't believe it. Kind of like enjoying supernatural characters like vampires and witches which I love, but don't believe in.

      Delete
  6. I don't usually read books like these but the movies I really enjoy! My husband really likes this series and one of these days I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't watch the movies because Tom Cruise is nothing like Reacher's descriptions in the novels. Oh, and I don't much like Tom Cruise. :\ But I do enjoy the books!

      Delete