Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 04, 2019

The Murder House by Michael Wood and Archangel Rising by Evan Currie

The Murder House is the 5th in a new series for me.  I'll be going back and picking up earlier books.  
from description:  The morning after a wedding reception at a beautiful suburban home in Sheffield, the bride’s entire family are stabbed to death – in a frenzied attack more violent than anything DCI Matilda Darke could have imagined.
Although this is the 5th in the series, it works well as a stand alone, and the characters are well-fleshed out, complex, and satisfyingly believable.  The plot is used to  develop the characters, reveal their personalities and temperaments and the complications in their lives.

DCI Matilda Darke quickly sums up problems with the crime scene.  She doesn't assume the evidence is genuine.
Even so, her team is somewhat reluctant to disregard the evidence.  

This is an ARC and I noticed a couple of errors that should be easily corrected by publication, but I thoroughly enjoyed Matilda, her team, and the investigation.  I've already ordered the first in the series.  I love finding a series with characters I want to know more about.

Read in November. 

NetGalley/One More Chapter
Police Procedural.  Jan. 31, 2020.   


Evan Currie's two connected military science fiction series continue to keep me reading.  I've read every book in the Odyssey series and the (sort of) spin-off Archangel now has two books.   (Some of my reviews that give background on the Odyssey series.)

In Archangel One "An elite squadron must go undercover behind enemy lines in this thrilling new space adventure from the author of the Odyssey One series."

Archangel Rising, #2 in the series, continues with Captain Steph Michaels and his Archangel team functioning as privateers in the undercover operation to gain information about the Empire.

Action packed, likable ensemble characters.  For militatry science fiction/space opera fans, I would recommend beginning with Odyssey One: Into the Black.

Read in November.

NetGalley/47 North
Space Opera/Military Science Fiction.  Jan. 14, 2020.

10 comments:

  1. The Murder House sounds like a good one. I like it that it works as a stand-alone and that it's character-driven, too. Will have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked quite a lot about this one and am happy to know there are four previous novels to enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I like the sound of The Murder House. Not an author I'm familiar with but that is easily changed, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't familiar with Michael Wood either, but look forward to more about DCI Matilda Darke and team. :)

      Delete
  3. The Archangel series sounds like fun. I do love a good science fiction read every now and then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Odyssey series is the beginning and so fast-paced! The Archangel spin-off depends a great deal on the previous books, so if you find time (Ha!) start with the first in the Odyssey series!

      Delete
    2. Good to know. Thanks! :D

      Delete
  4. What else would you recommend in the military science fiction/space opera sub-genre? I've read some S.A. Corey and some John Scalzi and the first two books in the Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie (book three is on my TBR!). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Weber, Tammy Salyer, Kennedy Hudner, Frank Herbert, Una McCormack, Amanda Bridgman--are some authors I've enjoyed! Most are space opera, some speculative fiction :)

      Delete
  5. Ooooh! You do introduce me to so many new, interesting titles!

    ReplyDelete