Search This Blog

Thursday, January 16, 2020

Welcome to the Pine Away Motel and Cabins by Katarina Bivald

Welcome to the Pine Away Motel and Cabins by Katarina Bivald wasn't what I expected, but was so much more.  It was a slow build, but I became more and more involved with the situations and the characters.

It opens with the ghost of Henny Broek who has been hit by a truck.   Her life had been about to turn around--the love of her life has just returned to their small town, and Henny's dreams seem to be coming true.  Then, before her dreams can be realized, Henny is looking at her own body.

At first, Henny thinks it must be a mistake or a dream, then when she accepts the fact that she is really dead, she thinks maybe she can convince God to somehow make it right and give her back her life and dreams.  This doesn't work out either.

Henny isn't the kind of ghost who can be seen or heard; she can't directly influence anything, but once she has accepted her situation, Henny tries to make things better for the people she loves.  She's happy that she can see her favorite mountain, tag along with her friends, see the sun rise each morning.  

I love this book.  It's the kind of book that makes you think, that tackles the strengths and frailties of humanity.  There were twists in situations that surprised me--situations that didn't evolve the way I expected.  It speaks in a gentle way to all the divisions among people, none of whom are perfect, none of whom are evil, all of whom judge and misjudge at times.  It is about people who can be kind and compassionate and still display intolerance and prejudice.   It is about friendship and family and community.  It's about seeking a way to live together despite our differences.  

It was exactly what I needed.

NetGalley/Sourcebooks
Fiction.  Jan. 7, 2020.  Print length:  448 pages.  


 

18 comments:

  1. Wow, this one sounds really good, and it's not at all what I would have expected from that cheesy cover. Another one for the TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting a cozy ghost story, but it ended up being a lot more. In addition, when we are all at odds politically, even withing families, the books doesn't make excuses so much as examine the characters.

      Delete
  2. Wow, sounds interesting and great that the author pulled it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it a little slow at first, but once it picked up the pace, I was completely involved. I really liked it!

      Delete
  3. This one sounds like a good one. I like books that make us think aside from the interesting premise. Hopefully my library has a copy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a world in which opinion is so divided, I found this book to be a pleasure while still looking at divisions. :)

      Delete
  4. I've only read The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by this author, but I did love that book! And I love the idea of this one with Henny being a ghost. I'm definitely adding this one to my TBR list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H have to read The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend! I'll be watching this author for anything new as well. :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It held my interest and made me think about when people you've liked have drastically different views on issues that affect the way people should live. How far will nice people go to push their views on others and how do our views change when people we like take adamant stances against the way we view the world?

      Delete
  6. Oh my, this sounds wonderful -- just when I think i know your tastes, you surprise me! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My reading is eclectic, but I was surprised to choose this one, and then enjoy it so much. :)

      Delete
  7. This sounds lovely. And the right book at the right time is PRICELESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The right book at the right time can influence me on many levels!

      Delete
  8. I only recently hard this author had written another book. I loved her first one. I am glad to hear this one is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get the first one! I remember being interested in it, but never read it.

      Delete
  9. I admit I wasn't interested in this one at first because I didn't love her other book that was quite popular but after your review I'll have to reconsider! Does sound very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the first book, but I did like this one after a slow start. :)

      Delete