Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman

Looking for Me by the author of Saving CeeCee Honeycutt has much to recommend it, and yet....

What I liked:  great ambiance in the settings of the family farm in Kentucky and in Charlston, S.C.; lovely Southern charm and flowing descriptions; nature and wildlife; the love of junk picking and quality antiques; the feathers and the notes from Josh; gardens; and near the end, Teddi's refusal to sell her father's old Allis-Chalmers tractor.  ( All of the above are things I personally love, and my father gave us an old Allis-Chalmers tractor many years ago that I adored and called Alice.  I also had an antique shop for a while and still love junking.)

And yet...it was about half-way through the book before any real plot developed; there were too many time-shifts; much of the detail, while interesting and well-written either didn't advance the story or slowed it down and dispersed interest; Josh's disappearance did not feel realistic to me (leaving a family and sister he loved with no word or follow-up contact); too many themes going on.  It seemed as if every good idea and description and interest that Hoffman had, she tried to use in one book.

Initially, I loved it.  The minor characters are especially well done, and Hoffman's skill in creating an environment is wonderful. Even nearly half-way through with no idea what the plot was, I was still enjoying the book because I am interested in all of things Hoffman writes about.  My thought was that it was like little essays or anecdotes about avocations and incidents and that I could be satisfied with that.  At a certain point, however, I would have preferred more of  a sense of continuity, a clear direct priority of theme and narrative.

Hoffman writes beautifully about her passions.  Maybe that is recommendation enough.

(Oh, and I thought about Andrew's Kelly, another woman with an innate knowledge of antiques and junk, who can spot the rare bargain and the upcoming trends.)

NetGalley/Penguin Group, Viking.

May 28, 2012.  Print version: 368 pages.

ISBN-10: 0670025836

No comments:

Post a Comment