Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

At Last

We have had more computer problems with malware.  I was horrified to discover problems with the brand new computer just when I thought things were back in order.  Anyway, thanks to a very nice and patient tech guy who came out twice, things are back in order.  

Evidently, I downloaded something and inadvertently checked a box that gave some malicious advertising site permission to load up the computer with ads and pop ups and scary warnings.  It was impossible to use the computer for more than a few minutes at a time without constantly closing ads that froze the screen.  

Since it wasn't a virus (oh, no-- I gave permission somehow), none of the firewalls or other safety precautions prevented the  sh  stuff from multiplying.  

I've been reading like crazy, but unable to write reviews.  I already had a few scheduled for October-January for books that needed to be posted closer to publication date, but I am way behind in writing current reviews.  

Funny how addicted we become to our technology.  Our computers serve such multi-functional purposes in our lives that what once seemed a luxury or a convenience now seems a necessity.  


  1. Ugh! I hate it when that happens. I am glad you got it all cleaned up, Jenclair, and are back to blogging.

  2. I'm glad to see your posts, Jenclair! I was wondering about you, thinking you might be busy with your craft works. ;)

    Glad to hear the computer is working again. I'd hate that to happen to me too.

  3. Wendy - I hate it when anything interferes with the computer, but this stuff was unbelievable. Thanks, I'm glad to be back!

    Melody - I was busy with craft and family for a while--thank goodness I had a place to put my energy. Most days, I would try a couple of times to clean up the mess, but with no luck. Professional help was necessary.

  4. Ah the joys of malware. Glad you got it all sorted!

  5. It has taken so much time to get rid of it. First, we tried over and over ourselves, then with online help, then the computer tech that came to the house spent 3 1/2 hours and missed one line of code...and then had to come back.

  6. Sheesh! What a huge nuisance! I'm glad you're back up and running now.