Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Snail Mail

Many of you who responded to the review of Neither Snow Nor Rain mentioned a present or past interest in correspondence.  I gathered a few sources of places to send cards, postcards, or letters in case you might be interested:

Send Kids the World, postcards to kids with life-threatening diseases.  Schools and other groups have joined this effort.  Love the idea of kids sending letters to kids.
Family Service Night at Blake School via Send Kids the World
Our Armed Services always appreciate letters.  If you scroll down on this one there are some responses from those who received letters (both individuals currently deployed and veterans of previous wars--so touching!)

One more for the military--Soldiers' Angels  



The buzz about Eduardo Munez is all over snail mail sites.  The mystery of it!  Naomi explains the origin here.  If you write Eduardo, your letter might be in the film.

Postcard Exchange on Goodreads

The Letter Writers Alliance has lots of ideas.   

Teachers might be interested in class projects featuring letter writing, and the above links will lead to other links.

And, of course, you can write to me.  I will write back.  :) Maybe not as promptly this month because I'm doing the Month of Letters challenge, but certainly as quickly as I can--I'm  putting something in the mailbox everyday.

Jen Mullen
104 Carondelet CT
Bossier City, LA  71111

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful places to investigate! Thanks for all the ideas! And you might jsut get a card in the mail from me sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, aren't they? I'd love a card from you, Stefanie!

      Delete
  2. A letter is on its way to you soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! An international letter! I'm looking forward to it, Melody!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for compiling this list! I can't promise a letter right away but hopefully one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be sending mail to at least two of the sites this week. I have a couple of kids picked out for the Send Kids the World. I'm enjoying creating the envelopes and choosing the stamps, etc. :)

      Delete
  4. What a great resource! Thank you, Jenclair. I've starred your post so I can come back to it. I think my daughter and I will have fun with it. And who knows, maybe you'll get a card or letter in the mail from me some day. ;-)

    I wrote to soldiers during Desert Shield. It was a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think getting Mouse involved is a great idea! I had Bryce Eleanor write her cousins when she was here last weekend, and her cards were great. :) Children writing children is a wonderful way to create a love of snail mail!

      Delete