Search This Blog

Monday, February 08, 2016

Three for Monday

Admiral by Sean Danker was one of those books that surprised me.  I mean, I like science fiction.  A lot.  I like military science fiction and space operas.  What surprised me was the quirky little smile that appeared on my face at the  tone of the book.

6 word review:  Who the heck is the Admiral?   

A wrecked freighter on a mysterious planet; 3 Evagardian trainees and an "Admiral" awake from stasis confused and alone on the freighter.  What happened to the captain and the pilot?  

Suspicion abounds, but in order to save themselves the four of them must work together.  

Loved it. 

Found this about Sean Danker:  Sean Danker has been writing since he was fifteen. He read entirely too much Asimov in college, and now we’re all paying the price for it. His hobbies include biting off more than he can chew, feeling sorry for himself on Twitter, and telling people to lighten up. He is currently serving in the military on a base in North Dakota.  Source

NetGalley/Berkley Publishing/ROC

Science Fiction.  May 3, 2016.  Print length:  320 pages.

I reviewed A Better World (the second in the Brilliance trilogy by Marcus Sakey) a while back. NetGalley offered the first book, but I couldn't get it to download, so I went on to Written in Fire, the final installment. 

Although it would be best to begin with the first in the series, I enjoyed the last two without that benefit.

from description:  For thirty years humanity struggled to cope with the brilliants, the one percent of people born with remarkable gifts. For thirty years we tried to avoid a devastating civil war. We failed.

Lots of action and some things to think about.  People who are different are often feared.  

This must be part of our genetic programing as it has been true even from times before civilization and civilization has only improved upon the ways to subjugate the "other."  What is different is feared,  the fear leads to persecution, and in so many historical situations, to extermination.  Things aren't much different today.  Trusting leaders is a risky business worldwide.  Leaders and followers may be acting out of good intentions, but the results can be disastrous regardless. 

This trilogy is a science fiction thriller, but as is often the case, a certain truth can be extrapolated from even exaggerated and implausible plots.  

NetGalley/Thomas & Mercer

Science Fiction/Thriller.  Jan. 12, 2016.  Print length:  348 pages.

The Madwoman Upstairs by Catherine Lowell sounded so good.  Unfortunately, I found it...hummm, frustrating.  

from the description:  the only remaining descendant of the Brontë family embarks on a modern-day literary scavenger hunt to find the family's long-rumored secret estate, using clues her eccentric father left behind.

Such an interesting premise, but I didn't really like any of the characters or the play on Bronte's Jane Eyre.  The novel  came across as sullen (don't know if you can really have a sullen book, but...), and I guess I didn't appreciate the humor.  The Bronte family is immensely fascinating; however, this take on Brontes, past and present, didn't work for me.  Nice cover, though.

NetGalley/Touchstone

genre?  March 1, 2016.  Print length:  352 pages.





12 comments:

  1. I have Written in Fire on my Kindle now. I enjoy Sakey and have read the first two in the trilogy. Actually the first was my favorite, so I hope you get to pick it up sometime. I meant to read it last week but put it aside because I've been moody this winter and need to go with what I'm craving. I do intend to read it sometime this month because it's a worthwhile series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should go back and read the first one, but Sakey was good about giving enough background in the second one (without being overly detailed) to make reading the second one easy to pick up the story in medias res. I get moody, too, and will dismiss a book if I'm not ready for it.

      Delete
  2. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed Admiral, Jenclair! I am looking forward to reading it. I hope to dive into more science fiction this year. Your reviews have been so tempting.

    The Marcus Sakey book sounds good. I enjoyed a thriller by him a few years ago--it read like a movie script.

    After my last book featuring the Brontes, I'm a little leery of trying anything else associated with them. It sounds like The Madwoman Upstairs wasn't a winner. I agree with you though--it's a nice cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something so tongue-in-cheek about the Admiral--in spite of the many threats--really appealed to me. You are right about Sakey's writing reading a lot like a movie script--very visual and action packed. It would make a great television series. There were plenty of readers who admired The Madwoman Upstairs, but I was not one of them.

      Delete
  3. Too bad about The Madwoman Upstairs. I want books like these to be good so very badly but I am thwarted every time I dare read one. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the blurb on this one sounded like fun. Reading felt more like work. :(

      Delete
  4. Ah, it was disappointing to hear The Madwoman Upstairs wasn't what you've expected. The blurb sounds interesting and it has a lovely cover to boot. Books with associated themes are either a hit or a miss and this sounds like the latter. Hopefully you next book will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the Brontes fascinating and have read a couple of biographies over the years. The premise for this pastiche was intriguing, but the implementation did not work for me.

      Delete
  5. That's too bad about The Madwoman Upstairs. You are right, nice cover! But at least you found a great science fiction trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The premise of The Madwoman Upstairs is terrific -- it's a shame it didn't work for you. The others sound promising. I'll give Admiral a shot. You had me at "quirky." :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was drawn in with the premise of Madwoman, but it didn't work for me. I hope you'll read and review Admiral, I'm eager to hear what others think!

      Delete