Search This Blog

Friday, April 20, 2018

The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza is the first in a series featuring DCI Erica Foster.  There are now six books in the series.

After the death of her husband, DCI Erica Foster is back in a new position.  In fact, she hasn't even found a place to live when her first case begins to take over her life.  

The prologue introduces the victim, her abduction and murder.  A few days later, a young man stumbles on the body of the young socialite in a frozen pond.  Erica has just arrived and hasn't even had time to take her suitcase to a hotel before she must visit the crime scene.

Erica is a strong woman and a capable detective, but she is still dealing with the trauma of her husband's death and her own sense of guilt and responsibility.  Nevertheless, she begins making friends and allies as she initiates  her investigation.  Unfortunately, there is also an officer who wants to see her fail and her superior officer doesn't provide consistent support.   

The victim Andrea Douglas-Brown is the daughter of a millionaire with political clout.  There are similar murders that Erica believes associated with the case, but they are of young immigrant prostitutes, and the powers-that-be don't want a connection that might sully the Douglas-Brown family.  

It is easy to cheer Erica through her challenges and to appreciate the cast of characters that support her in her battle to find the killer despite the opposition from the family and her own department.  

Read in March.  Blog review scheduled for April 20.  

NetGalley/Grand Central Publishing

Police Procedural.  Originally published in 2016; April 24, 2018.  Print length:  396 pages.


14 comments:

  1. I really want to read this one! I'm craving a good thriller now that I'm in a mini slump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talk about dysfunctional families! The Douglas-Browns could be the poster parents/children for dysfunction.

      Delete
  2. I own this one, but haven't read it yet. Have heard good things about this series, so I'd like to start it soon. I'm just finishing up the 2nd book in Joy Ellis' series on the Fens. I really like that series. May have to stop myself from binge-reading it...or maybe not. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both the Nikki Galena and the Rowan Jackson series by Ellis! I'm glad you are enjoying your sojourn in the Fens. :)

      Delete
  3. I've wondered if this series is any good. Sounds like I might need to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great start to the series and it is available on Overdrive! Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be interested to see how the series develops in the next installment.

      Delete
  5. I like the sound of this one and am glad you enjoyed it. I think I may have to fit a crime fiction novel in after I read The Girl From the Savoy. I just finished the first two books in a science fiction/fantasy series that was just meh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. Sorry about the scifi/fantasy books not really making the grade. I have a couple of science fiction books to review that I've enjoyed, but I'm a big fan of certain scifi authors.

      Delete
  6. I need to get to know this author more! Yours is another positive review for this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed this one and suspect that I might like the next one as the author begins to expand on other members of the support team. :)

      Delete
  7. I almost picked this up the other day. Looks like I've to add it back onto my wishlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like one I definitely have to read!

    ReplyDelete