Search This Blog

Thursday, May 17, 2018

A Sharp Solitude by Christine Carbo

I've been reading Christine Carbo's suspenseful novels set in Glacier National Park since NetGalley offered the first one (The Wild Inside) in 2015.  The natural beauty of the park and the often terrifying threats of the wilderness are always crucial elements in the novels.  The park itself is more than setting; it is character as well.

Carbo's tendency to take a minor character from one novel and give him or her a lead in the next novel is much the same as in Tana French's novels.  This penchant of developing secondary characters contributes a freshness and energy to each succeeding plot.  

A Sharp Solitude features FBI investigator Ali Paige and Reeve Landon.  Landon is Ali's former boyfriend and the father of her daughter.  When Anne Marie Johnson (a journalist who was last seen accompanying Reeve Landon  and his service dog for an article she was writing) is murdered, Landon becomes the chief suspect.  Intensely private and with a secret past he is desperate to keep hidden,  Landon is arrested after not admitting that Anne Marie visited his cabin.

Ali Paige refuses to believe Landon is guilty and gets involved in the investigation using her FBI position to get information.  But Ali is not authorized to do so and is jeopardizing her own career.  She is also afraid she may discover something she doesn't want to know.

I thought I knew where the novel was going because issues concerning gun control appear early, but while that is an interesting aspect, the truth is something different.

Shifting between Reeve Landon and Ali's perspectives, the reader learns of the events in their pasts that contribute to the situation in which they find themselves.

Monte Harris and Gretchen Larsen have only cameo appearances.  

A fine addition to this series, but I wonder who will take the lead in the next installment.

Read in March; blog review scheduled for May 17.

NetGalley/Attria Books

Suspense.  May 29, 2018.  Print length:  368 pages

16 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to try this series. I like the idea of the more minor characters taking the lead in upcoming tales and have liked that about Tana French's books. I definitely need to make reading the first a priority. I think I might have it on audio - need to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have certainly enjoyed this series. Carbo's characters have depth and the plots keep me engaged!

      Delete
  2. I would like to start this series from book one before reading every word of your review, but it seems like you really enjoyed it!

    I enjoy stories set out in nature where the environment becomes a character itself, so this would be a good one for me, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series combines the power of natural places--the beauty and dangers of nature--with suspenseful plots. I've enjoyed each of the books in Carbo's series set in Glacier National Park!

      Delete
  3. Another series I can put on my summer reading list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like these books, Lark! From the threat of grizzly bears and forest fires to human menace, Christine Carbo's setting absorbs them all. :)

      Delete
  4. I think Tana French has done that so well in developing her secondary characters in her Murder Squad books although I admit I would like for her to revisit with some of her earlier characters. Anyway, this sounds great and although not my typical setting that I like to read about, I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to revisit Rob and Cassie from French's first two books. I'm eager for more Gretchen Larsen in Carbo's books--she is a fascinating character!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of giving a minor character to a lead character in the next novel. Like Iliana, I also like an author to revisit with some of her earlier characters. And speaking of Tana French, I'm really hoping that she'll have a new book out this year. Anyways, this book sounds interesting so I may want to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This series is full of suspense and complex characters in an environment that is as multi-layered and complex as the human characters. I eagerly await each new addition to this series!

      Delete
  6. Interesting- like a cross between Nevada Barr and Tana French! This sounds great. Is there a particular character that has been your favorite in this series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Gretchen Larson is probably my favorite character and The Weight of Night is my favorite book in the series.

      Delete
  7. I've never tried this series, or even known of it. I like the idea of different characters taking the lead in each new instalment -- I've never read that before (not a Tana French reader)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many books, so little time! This is a series that I really enjoy and look forward to each new installment. :)

      Delete
  8. As much as I like series books that follow the same characters, it is refreshing to read a series that features different characters with each book. There are several series I read like that, now that I think about it. I haven't read this particular series, but it's on my list to read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both kinds of series. Those with characters that you watch grow with each new book and the kind that lets a secondary character lead in the next book. It must take some of the pressure off the author to try and keep a character fresh through book after book!

      Delete