Search This Blog

Monday, September 18, 2006

Interesting posts & links; A Map of Glass


A review of the book Artist of Wonderland: The Life, Political Cartoons, and Illustrations of Tenniel arouses my interest.

Bibliotherapy...great post that introduces a cure for so many things. Seems to have worked for SoManyBooks.

Dorothy W. commenting about Courtney's post on review styles. When do reviews get too scholarly?

This link (BBC) is full of fascinating stuff about books, poetry, and a project called "Telling Lives."

I am still so in love with A Map of Glass by Jane Urquhart. What lovely prose, what a fascinating journey into the lives of the characters. I read it slowly-- almost like nonfiction-- because, unlike many books where the plot encourages rapid reading, Urquhart's sentences and paragraphs slow me down and encourage me to ponder characters, settings, history, memory. I find myself wanting to linger, not rush to a conclusion.

Will finish The Haunted Hotel by Wilkie Collins today. Really more of a long short story or novella than a full length novel. All the important Gothic elements here AND a Gothic sensibility. Fun, fast reading.

8 comments:

  1. I started Woman in White this weekend, my first Collins. Am really enjoying it.

    I love Tenniel's illustrations, especially for Alice in Wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will enjoy it! I'm adding a re-read of The Moonstone or Woman in White after finishing all my R.I.P. basic five.

    Tenniel is almost synonymous with Alice in Wonderland, isn't he? His illustrations are still so well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link! The Wilkie Collins book sounds interesting -- I loved The Moonstone and The Woman in White, so maybe I should try something else of his!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband read Map of Glass earlier this year and really loved it. I've not gotten to it yet, but have plans. I am big on having plans! I keep meaning to read Collins but haven't yet. With so many reading him lately and saying how good he is I'll have to make more plans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorothy, this one isn't nearly as long or as good as the other two, but I did enjoy it. It was the first of all my 5 choices to really feel Gothic. Will review it later, but finished today.

    Stefanie, I'm big on plans, too. Do give Collins a try with The Moonstone or Woman in White. I plan to re-read one or both...soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the illustration that you posted. I also must look into Map of Glass as I'm not sure that I've come across it before reading this posting. It's hard to find a work that can actually make you fall in love with both the prose and the fictional workd created by the author. Sounds lovely!

    BTW - I must add that I've enjoyed your comments about booksobuyase - on both mine and Ex Libris' blog ;) You do realize, however, that you are a grand contributor to this ailment with all of your postings on books that I suddenly need to get my hands on. Like Map of Glass....sigh...I . Must. Have. It!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant world, not workd....sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Amelia, I really like this one - well, I like so many of Tenniel's illustrations.

    As for the disease mentioned, I'm following SoManyBooks and plan on Bibliotherapy! I don't have the disease, but hear it running rampant and believe preventative steps are required. :)

    ReplyDelete