Search This Blog

Saturday, September 09, 2006

"It was a dark and stormy night..."

I know most of you are familiar with The Bulwer-Lytton fiction contest, but just in case you want to participate...you can follow the above link. Fits in with the current R.I.P. theme, doesn't it? How utterly familiar is the phrase "...a dark and stormy night..." ?

Finished the Welty biography; it certainly increased my admiration of Eudora as author and woman, although the slow spots were really slow. Will review later.

I've started 2 more books-- Lolly Willowes from the R.I.P list and one by Brad Meltzer because I heard him interviewed on NPR. Here is a link to the NPR site; click on the "Listen" if you'd like to hear the interview. I didn't hear the whole thing and plan to listen to it later, but the fact that Meltzer was invited to a think tank to help flesh out information on possible terrorist attacks caught my attention.

I'm reading Meltzer's The First Counsel, and while I find certain details about the White House interesting, I'm not much impressed with his characters. Doesn't mean I don't want to know what happens!


2 comments:

  1. What a coincidence. I was just at the library and picked up "The Book of Fate" by Brad Meltzer. I hesitated to because I have several books I need to read first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Booklogged-- We really have a lot of cross-connections in reading! I just finished the Meltzer and was not impressed. The Book of Fate was the focus of the NPR program and his most recent. Let me know what you think. Unless you give it a good review, I think I'll pass on Meltzer next time around.

    ReplyDelete