Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Anne Boleyn (novels, history, biography)

"Beware the man of one book." St. Thomas Aquinas

More books on the subject of Anne Boleyn.

Fiction
Barnes, Margaret C
. Brief Gaudy Hour. (read this years ago and loved it)
Gavin, Nell. Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn.
Plaidy, Jean. Murder Most Royal: The Story of Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard.
Gregory, Philippa. The Other Boleyn Girl.
---. The Boleyn Inheritance.

Non-fiction
Fraser, Antonia. The Wives of Henry VIII. (I've read this, but it was excellent and considering my renewed interest, due for a re-read)
Ives, Eric. The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn.
Weir, Alison. The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

I want to read more on the subject and this list provides some possibilities. The Philippa Gregory novels have received recommendations from iliana and Lesley.

7 comments:

  1. A different take on the Anne Boleyn story is Threads by Nell Gavin - it features reincarnation as well....very different take!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Fiction selection - The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn by Robin Maxwell. I haven't read it, but it's been on my TBR list for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read The Other Boleyn Girl and it was very good. We read in in a book club and I think everyone liked it (it was a while ago). I also want to read the Boleyn Inheritance. Alison Weir writes good biographies - I've read her book on Elinor of Aquitaine - another interesting historial woman. I read Antonia Fraser's book about Marie Antoinette, so I think I'll take a look at this one too (The Wives of Henry VIII).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a treasure trove on Anne stuff! I've never read Jean Plaidy but I remember my mom was hooked on her books for a while there :)

    I really want to read another Philippa Gregory book to see how well it holds up to the Other Boleyn Girl. It was just so readable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marg - Yes, I understood that it was a bit unusual, but one site that I visited in researching Anne gave it a good rec, so I added it to the list. Your comment "sounds" a bit sceptical... (Isn't it odd how some typed sentences seem to carry a tone?) Have you read it? I may need to move it to the bottom of the list!

    SuziQ - Thanks, Suzi, I think I saw this on one site, but failed to include it. I'm adding it now.

    Jackie - I've had an interest in Elinor, too. Thanks for the heads up on Weir; it helps to know someone has been pleased with her work.

    iliana - Plaidy's name is very familiar, but I've never read her before. Everyone seems to have enjoyed the Other Boleyn Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a good read, so give it a go. I rated it as 4//5, but this was before my blogging days so can't link to a review or anything for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marg - Thanks for letting me know -- it will stay on my list!

    ReplyDelete