Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A cross post

I've had questions and have read your questions about certain areas of the MBTI test, so after a little more research:

"This is the simple model. In fact, the Myers Briggs model is much more complicated than this - it is a dynamic model:
the preferences change and develop throughout life
the preferences interact with each other "

One area that I've questioned and see that others have as well is Judging. Mine was 11, which surprised me until I found this:

Judging and Perceiving
Judging and Perceiving preferences, within the context of personality types, refers to our attitude towards the external world, and how we live our lives on a day-to-day basis. People with the Judging preference want things to be neat, orderly and established. The Perceiving preference wants things to be flexible and spontaneous. Judgers want things settled, Perceivers want thing open-ended.

We are using Judging when we:

Make a list of things to do
Schedule things in advance
Form and express judgments
Bring closure to an issue so that we can move on

We are using Perceiving when we:

Postpone decisions to see what other options are available
Act spontaneously
Decide what to do as we do it, rather than forming a plan ahead of time
Do things at the last minute
We all use both Judging and Perceiving as we live our day-to-day life. Within the context of personality type, the important distinction is which way of life do we lean towards, and are more comfortable with.

The differences between Judging and Perceiving are probably the most marked differences of all the four preferences. People with strong Judging preferences might have a hard time accepting people with strong Perceiving preferences, and vice-versa. On the other hand, a "mixed" couple (one Perceiving and one Judging) can complement each other very well, if they have developed themselves enough to be able to accept each other's differences.

I do make lists, but I also postpone decisions. I schedule things, but then act spontaneously. I form and express opinions, but often decide what to do as I do it (especially with quilting). I love bringing closure so I can move on, but often put it off until the last minute. No wonder the J was only 11%.

More here and
here
and this one is very good.

6 comments:

  1. Phew! My judging score was so high (can't remember it now - I've blocked it out!), I was embarrassed to share my results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les - I was a little embarrassed because mine was so low. :0 I really think I am a P who wants to be a J! And can't quite manage it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I scored an 11 on the P/J scale too and also thought that perhaps I'm a P wanting to be a J. My inclination is more towards behaviors that would score on the Perception side, but in reality, I've adapted to Judging behaviors because it's the only way I can get things done and they are the kinds of things that I need to do in my worklife: make lists, prepare and track schedules, resolve issues etc. I no longer recall my original score on this when I first took the test, but if I was a J then, I bet I was even closer to the center than 11. Which makes sense as I think the real benefit of tools like the MBTI is to understand our inate tendencies and to see where we can seek improvements if necessary to accomplish what we want. I've always wondered why some people 'brag' about their profile. I once was in a discussion group where everyone proudly wore their ENTJ labels. I used to think it was weird -- why would I want to be like that? But now I see that there are postives/negatives in all of the profile types.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cam - I've been thinking about this, too. It makes traits that may have worried us a bit and presents the positive side. Also, it is interesting to see that by answering so few questions, the test can type most people accurately.

    I agree that it helps us see our innate tendencies in a fresh light and offers the opportunity for improvement. Also, I love seeing how much common sense is involved - you can label friends pretty accurately before they even take the test.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found this so very interesting Jenclair. I can't remember what I scored on the P/J scale, but from what I read here, I am very strongly P, but one that is consciously trying to be a J only because I feel more efficient that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lotus - I think that's me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete