Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Inkheart


Funke, Cornelia. Inkheart. Meggie and her father both love books, but Mo has a secret that Meggie doesn't know about: Mo can read characters right out a book, and unfortunately, the reverse is also true. Sometimes real people can be read into a book. After an incident that occurred when Meggie was three years old, Mo ceased reading aloud for fear of the consequences.
The consequences, however, catch up to him anyway...and therein lies the tale.

I enjoyed this YA fantasy which is filled with magic and the love of books. Meggie, Mo, Elinor, and Dustfinger -- each has a lot at stake as they tangle with the wicked Capricorn and his gang.

The novel ends with the promise of another tale, and Funke has completed Inkspell, but the third book in the trilogy has not yet arrived.

Cornelia Funke has a website that kids might enjoy and this site has pictures from the upcoming movie of Inkheart and pictures of the characters here, but you have to scroll down some.

Fiction. YA fantasy. 2003. 534 pages.

13 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to eventually getting round to this one! Glad you enjoyed it, sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book!! and Inkspell gets even more exciting! I love the characters in these books.. I think I know "aunt Elinor!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this book on the shelves countless of times but I had no idea what it was about. Sounds so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed this one, Jenclair. I hadn't realized that a movie was in the works and I'll look forward to grabbing it on DVD at some point. Two of my favorites are included, I see...Helen Mirren and Jim Broadbent.

    I haven't read the second book yet and need to put it on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the links--I like the pictures from the movie. Looks like a great cast. Helen Mirren looks fabulous, as usual. My son will enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know this was going to be a movie! I'd better get moving and read it soon! It sounds like one the kiddies would like to go see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to be ordering this book very soon. I keep seeing bloggers praising it, and it's making me really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to make time to read Inkspell. My daughter keeps me well posted on the movie's progress and who is playing who.

    ReplyDelete
  9. quixotic - It was a fun YA fantasy!

    deslily - Inkspell is on my list as I want to find out what happens next. It really is a great premise...reading characters in and out of stories!

    iliana - It has a lot of interest for anyone who loves books or fairy tales!

    Sam - I'm looking forward to the movie, too. Looks like they've done a great job on the casting!

    G.R. - The movie appears to continue the appeal to both adults and children!

    Stephanie - You'll enjoy the book, and I imagine we'll be hearing a lot more about it as time for the movie release appears.

    Nymeth - If you like fantasy or YA fiction, you'll like Inkheart!

    Cheya - It's a fun read, and I'm looking forward to the movie, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad it lived up to all the expectations your blogging friends raised, Jenclair. Inkspell is every bit as good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to Inkspell, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had fun reading both these books. I sure wish the third would come out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I keep looking at this book on my shelf and wondering why I keep it, as I seem to remember it having a cold, distant feel (I couldn't identify the cause of it), and I doubt I will want to read it again. But I somehow feel as if I really *ought* to like it.

    ReplyDelete