Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2014

Sunbolt by Intisar Khanani

Sunbolt is the second book I've read by Intisar Khanani.  When I finished Thorn, I was so impressed, I couldn't wait to try another of her books.  

As much as I enjoyed Thorn, I found myself liking Sunbolt even more, with the caveat that I was disappointed to discover that I have to wait for the next book in the Sunbolt Chronicles.  

Both of these books would be wonderful for Carl's Once Upon a Time Challenge, but I read them both before this year's challenge began.  

Hitomi is a young orphan who must conceal her magical talents and her role in The Shadow League, a resistance group in Karolene.  The leader of the Shadow League is called Ghost, and during the effort to help a targeted political family to escape, the only way to keep Ghost from being captured involves Hitomi allowing herself to be captured instead.

She and the family members that survived are held in Blackflame's cages.  Without giving away the details, Hitomi manages to escape, only to be recaptured...and out of the frying pan, into the fire.  

While some details follow the YA fantasy formula, this story has several unique characters and superb writing.  

What a thrilling YA fantasy this was, but as other readers noted, it is too short.  Khanani yanks you into Hitomi's world, keeps you breathless through her adventures, then leaves us eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Read in March.

YA/Fantasy.  2013.  Novella (I know, I'm not crazy about novellas, but I didn't realize it going in, and Sunbolt is so good, I'm making an exception.)

  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this wonderful review, Jen! I am so glad that you enjoyed both my books. Sunbolt is a very different read from Thorn, and I was initially nervous that readers of one book wouldn't enjoy the other! Hitomi has been a lot of fun for me to write--not the least because every time she tries to save herself she lands herself in more trouble. ;) But she never gives up, and she does eventually get out... :) I'm in the process of revising Book 2 (Memories of Ash) and hope to have it out later this summer. So more soon! Thanks again for the awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what it is, but I do love books that involve magic. I am glad you enjoyed this one so much, Jenclair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Intisar Khanani - Oh, I can't wait for the next one!

    Wendy - This is a charming fantasy with great characters and writing!

    ReplyDelete