Search This Blog

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Two More Mysteries

Unfold the Evil     bk 2       

I was introduced to Larson's Natalie Joday series through NetGalley when I received The Hatch and Brood of Time, the first book in the series.  Larson's characters and style appealed to me, so on discovering that Larson also writes science fiction, I read her science fiction novel In Retrospect, which I also enjoyed and reviewed.  

Naturally, when NetGalley offered the second in the Natalie Joday series, I was eager to read it.  Natalie is debating where she wants to go as a reporter, and a more demanding (and better paying position) is available.  Since her brother Daniel's daughter is now a consideration, she must think about how much time is needed for the prospective job and how much for helping care for her niece.  

When the paper's advice columnist begins receiving letters from "Enigma,"  Natalie, somewhat reluctantly, begins helping out.  Her brother's girlfriend Rebecca is a psychologist, and Natalie and Rebecca puzzle over the riddles contained in the letters.  When it appears that a death from years earlier might not have been the accident it seemed at the time, Natalie becomes consumed with discovering more.

So...my third book by Larson was another success.  Her characters and her plots engage my imagination.  

Read in August; blog post scheduled for Oct. 23.

NetGalley/Poisoned Pen Press

Mystery.  2000; Nov. 4, 2014.  Print length:  304 pages.



The Seventh Link by  Margaret Mayhew   

A cozy mystery featuring a retired colonel and the small English village of Frog End.  

The good:  I enjoyed the elements relating to WWII and the information about bomber crews.  I also liked Thursday, the cat.

On the other hand, the novel is short, slow and low key, and lacking in real suspense.  Nor is the mystery completely resolved.  Not that, given the circumstances, I object.  Hard to have incontrovertible proof some 60+ years after the fact.  

Read in August; blog post scheduled for Oct. 23.

Netgalley/Severn House

Cozy Mystery.  Nov. 1, 2014.  Print length:  160 pages.

3 comments:

  1. I've not heard of author Ellen Larson, but based on your review that series sound interesting.

    The Seventh Link seems to have a good plot and setting, it's a pity that the suspense isn't enough for a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Seventh Link sounds like it leaves something to be desired.

    I like the sound of Unfold the Evil. I like stories featuring reporters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Ellen Larson book sounds like a fun mystery...letters and riddles and great characters. I haven't heard of this author and am looking forward to trying her out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete