Search This Blog

Monday, October 05, 2015

The Lake House by Kate Morton

I've read and enjoyed The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden by Morton, but The Lake House is my favorite.  

Alice Edevane is 16 when her young and beloved brother disappears; decades later, Alice is a respected author in her eighties.  What happened to Theo was never discovered, but Alice has her own suspicions.

Sadie Sparrow is on disciplinary leave from the police department, visiting her grandfather in Cornwall.  When she stumbles on the deserted Lake House and learns the unsolved story of the missing toddler from the 1930's, Sadie's curiosity is aroused.  She has to fill her time during her enforced leave and the unsolved mystery of Theo's disappearance intrigues her.

The secrets and mysteries are layered like an archaeological dig.  An answer reveals a question, one connection leads to another.  

Morton's writing is often remarkably visual; she excels at creating scenes that are three-dimensional and vivid.   Her characters, both major and minor characters, have depth as well.  Truth and what people believe to be the truth sometimes mesh, but not always.  The version of events that one character believes is not the same as the version another character believes.  Information is withheld for a variety of reasons.

Gradually, Morton braids all of the strands together, keeping the reader's thoughts twisting to accommodate new information.  

Reader, I loved it.  I was immersed in the narrative and the characters from beginning to end.  

Read in August.  Blog review scheduled for Oct. 5, 2015.

NetGalley/Atria Books

Mystery.  Oct. 20, 2015.  Print length:  512 pages.

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I love how this book sounds. I've actually only read one of this author's books - The Distant Hours. I enjoyed that one a lot. Keep meaning to read others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not put it down! It was long and involved, and I didn't want it to end. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh! I'm excited for this. I loved the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to catch up on the ones I've missed! The ones I've read have just the right amount of Gothic undertones. Morton is an expert atmosphere!

      Delete
  3. Oh great review! I loved The House at Riverton so this one has been on my radar. So glad to hear it was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is my favorite; I liked it even better than The House at Riverton and The Forgotten Garden! Still have a couple to catch up on, though. :)

      Delete
  4. Haven't read this yet! Kate Morton's the perfect author for if you have a long plane flight, I always find. Saving her for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea! You can forget the boredom with one of Morton's books to keep you occupied. :)

      Delete
  5. I've not read anything by this author but I think I've one of her books on my shelf. This sounds like a great read and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you would enjoy one of Kate Morton's books, Melody. This is my favorite, but I've enjoyed all of the ones I've read. :)

    ReplyDelete