Search This Blog

Saturday, October 03, 2015

My Kindle Died

I'm still in mourning--especially as I ordered the newest version in the largest size, and neither my husband nor I could get it to connect with our WiFi.  I wasn't as charmed with the size as I thought I would be, but if I could have gotten it to work properly, it would have been fine.

As it was, in a fit of frustration, I returned it and ordered the Fire HD 8, which looks to be an updated version of my deceased Kindle.  And wait.  Again.

I had about ten ARCs that had come in the mail to read, but so many of those that arrive in the mail unsolicited don't appeal to me.  Fortunately, there were several that did, and I will be reviewing them soon.  

Some books that I read in August and September (and really liked), but have not yet reviewed because I'm waiting until closer to publication dates:


Splinter the Silence by Val McDermid; NetGalley-- December 1.  

Tony Hill & Carol Jordan; if you are familiar with Wire in the Blood, the British television series, then you know these characters. I love this series, and I like where this book is taking it.  Have to admit I have been a little concerned about Tony & Carol, especially Carol, in the last couple of books, but although this one has the same tension, both characters have  to examine themselves in more detail.  And catch a killer.  A great addition to a fine series!


Land of Shadows - by Priscilla Royal; NetGalley--due out in February, 2016.  I've read and reviewed most of the books in this series.  Historical mysteries set in the late 1200's featuring Eleanor Wynethrop, Prioress of Tyndale Priory, and Brother Thomas, a monk with a secret past.

I love the historical detail and research that goes into Royal's novels.  The first one I read (The Wine of Violence- my review) was such a great introduction to the series.  By Land of Shadows, the reader knows all the characters well and has a better grasp of the political, religious, and cultural aspects of the time, and can expect an excellent mystery (based on actual events in this case) as well.  

Unreasonable Doubt - Vicki Delaney; NetGalley--also due out in February, 2016.  I have enjoyed everything I've read in this series about Constable Molly Smith, and this one did not disappoint.  Delany delivers another well-crafted mystery with great characters.

 Our dragon boat races were canceled this year because of the Red River flooding in June, but we have sponsored a boat crewed by our son-in-law Chris and friends with great success for several years.   

I have a draft, but haven't scheduled it yet; keep this one in mind.


That's Chris in the in the front row with sunglasses.

Without my Kindle, how have I been spending my time?  Weeding.  It was too damn hot during the summer with so many days 100+.  Making more Eccentric characters for Halloween.  You can see some over at Bayou Quilts.  I'm still working on more.

14 comments:

  1. Sorry about your Kindle. Hope your new one arrives soon. Looking forward to both the Val McDermid book and the Vicki Delany one. Yay! And weeding. Ick! However, it was gloriously cool this morning. So, so happy. I know we aren't out of the woods yet, but it was 59 here. Ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The McDermid and Delany books were both really good! It has been cooler here, too--hence the weeding I avoided all summer! Anything below 90 degrees is a blessing! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh no, how could your Kindle have died! Here's hoping the new one arrives soon. I have watched a couple of episodes of Wire in the Blood and really liked them so unfortunately I haven't read the books. I just felt like I needed some time before reading the books so I wouldn't confuse it too much with the television version. But one day I'd really like to check the books out. Just peeked at your lovely Halloween creatures... OMG - the Catrina is absolutely amazing. Such great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realize how much I depended on my Kindle! Especially at night when my husband goes to bed, and I can read without turning on a lamp. The McDermid books are always good, and even if I haven't watched Wire in the Blood in years, I see Robson Green and Hermoine Norris as Tony and Carol.

      Thanks, Iliana! I'm in the process of making 2 more Catrinas--one for each of my daughters. La Catrina was definitely the family favorite. My favorite is Maude.

      Delete
  3. I am sorry about your Kindle. I would be heartbroken too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those books that I had not yet gotten to read! I know they will be recovered, but for now they are lost in limbo! :O

      Delete
  4. Well, damn it! I would be crushed if my ereader suddenly died, which as it's a bit elderly at this point is not far from the realm of possibility (sigh). I hope your new one arrives posthaste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it will arrive today. I'm baking a cake! :)

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about your Kindle, Jenclair. Let's hope the new one will arrive quickly so you can be back to reading again. Speaking of reading, my progress has been slow lately. And ooh, you're making more characters for Halloween! Will have to check out your other site. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Kindle had been acting up lately, freezing and wheezing, requiring more sleep. I should have known.... Fingers crossed that the new one will be here today.

      Delete
  6. Sorry about your Kindle! I know how frustrating it is sine I had two of them die on me in the span of a couple months. I hope the new one arrives and works perfectly. In the meantime, if you run out of weeding, you are welcome to come up north where it is cool and weed in my garden, it needs it really bad ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I still have a good bit of weeding here, but I'd love to visit your garden sometime!

      Delete
  7. I hate weeding. :-( I am sorry about your Kindle trouble. I hope you like the HD 8. I bought the new HD 8 and like it quite a bit. I was still using my original Kindle Fire, so anything probably would be an improvement to that at this point. I do all my reading on my Kindle Paperwhite, however. Although now, with the Kindle Fire, I can read my Nook books too. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you procrastinate like I did when it got so hot, it is even more of a trial. The HD8 arrived and connected to the WiFi first try. I still prefer the older version, but at least I can get to my books!

      Delete