Search This Blog

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Blood Defense and Missing, Presumed

Blood Defense by Marcia Clark.  I have really enjoyed each of the 4 books in Clark's Rachel Knight series, but this is a new series with a very different protagonist.  Both Rachel Knight and Samantha Brinkman are lawyers, but their personalities, their legal roles (Knight is a prosecutor; Brinkman is a defense attorney), and their approaches to the legal system differ drastically. 

Clark begins illustrating the difference between Rachel Knight and Sam Brinkman in the first chapter.  There is also an incident in the second chapter that could be dismissed as a "throw away," but something about "it" reminded me of Checkov's gun trope, and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. Other subtle hints occur in the course of the book that explain not only that incident, but other events in the past.  

By the time I finished, I knew I'd probably eagerly read the next in the Brinkman series, but mostly to see if I  could decide whether or not I liked the characters enough to continue.    Reviewing the book without giving spoilers is difficult, but Clark's storytelling sometimes overcame my ambivalence about Sam and about some of the developments in the plot.  The twist at the end was one I had picked up on early and that Clark had hinted at throughout--and has a great deal to do with Sam's character.   

NetGalley/Thomas & Mercer

Legal Thriller.  May 1, 2016.  Print length:  400 pages.


Missing, Presumed by Susie Steiner.  

Beautiful post-grad student from wealthy, influential family is missing.  Lonely female detective (who spends a lot of time looking for a partner by trying internet dating) is determined to find her. 

I'm OK with a flawed protagonist, but Manon's desire for a partner is too desperate.  I'd rather feel empathy than pity. I also found it difficult to much to like about Edith, the spoiled post-grad student who is missing.  


The discovery of the body of a young black man provides the opportunity for a couple of side-plots and "the twist."  

The pacing is slow and the various plot lines didn't work well for me.

NetGalley/Random House

Police Procedural.  2016.  Print length:  400 pages.

8 comments:

  1. I still haven't started on her Rachel Knight series though I'd bought the first two books after reading your reviews. :-)

    I think I shall wait a while and see how this new series go. As for Missing Presumed, I think I'll give it a miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed the Rachel Knight books, but Clark's Samantha Brinkman series leaves me pretty ambivalent for several reasons. The Goodreads' reviews are mostly positive.

      Delete
  2. I read and enjoyed all the Rachel Knight books. I am now currently reading Blood Defense. I am enjoying it very much. I'm happy you didn't give any spoilers but I understand (I think) about your ambivalence about her MC Samantha. She's abrasive, a wise-a$$, and can sometimes be annoying. However, it seems that Ms. Clark enjoyed the heck out of writing this one. I will keep reading the series, even if I find that this one is not as good for me as the Knight series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will read the next Sam Brinkman, but I don't think I'll ever like them as much as the Rachel Knight books. Will be looking for your review, Rita!

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of Marcia Clark's books; I think when the first one came out I dismissed it as only getting published because of her celebrity...but it sounds like she has more to offer than that. Might be a series to check out this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hesitated on the first one that NetGalley offered for that very reason, but I'm glad I tried it because I read all the books in the series after that. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm not too big on courtroom thrillers but I feel like I keep seeing a lot about Marcia Clark's series lately. Might have to give it a try. Now Missing Presumed sounds like more of my type of mystery but too bad the characters seem to have some serious flaws.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blood Defense was more of a crime(s)/suspense novel than a courtroom drama. I was hesitant about reading the first Rachel Knight novel, but I have really enjoyed them. :)

      Delete