Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2016

Library Books

I really want to see this!


--------------

When the Music's Over by Peter Robinson has DS Alan Banks dealing with a case of sexual abuse by a beloved celebrity.  The problem is that the abuse of underage girls took place over 50 years ago.  Given the success of similar cases in Operation Yewtree, accusers of Danny Caxton have begun to come forward and the most promising case involves a famous poet who was raped by Caxton when she was fourteen.  

(The real Operation Yewtree opened the door for similar cases with convictions of many celebrities in the UK.  In 2012, Operation Yewtree examined allegations from 1959 through the 1980's and set a precedent.  Many celebrities were convicted of crimes that were decades old.  Can't help but make connections to the current charges against Bill Cosby.)

While Banks is in charge of the case against Danny Caxton, DI Annie Cabot pursues an investigation into the brutal death of a young girl.  Cabot's case, too, draws on real life and the insidious practice of grooming young girls.

Robinson, as usual, creates believable characters, both the familiar ones like Allan Banks, Annie Cabot, and Winsome Jackman and the new characters that develop each plot.

I'm not as fond of Robinson's musical allusions as I once was and wish the author would tone that element down a bit, but Robinson loves his music and many readers also enjoy the many musical references.  What I loved in this one is that Banks is beginning to enjoy poetry and there are allusions to some of my favorite poems by Archibald MacLeish, John Donne, and W.H. Auden.  

The books in this series can all function as stand-alones, although it is fun to read them in order to watch the lives of the characters develop.

Library copy.  Read in Aug.; blog review scheduled for 9/12/16.

Crime/Police Procedural.  2016.  419 pages.



Lisa Gardner's Find Her is a tense psychological thriller in which a victim of a terrible crime has become a survivor, but the experience has changed Flora Dane in ways that make reconnecting with her beloved mother and brother difficult. 

 In the five years since her rescue, Flora has made every attempt to make sure she won't ever be a victim again, but she still struggles against the circumstances of her captivity.

When D.D. Warren first meets Flora, she has a suspicion that Flora has become a vigilante.  The plot moves from present to past and back as details are revealed about Flora's 472 days of captivity.

Dark and chilling, the book is difficult to put down.

Library copy.

Read in Aug.; blog review scheduled for 9/12/16.

Psychological Thriller.  2016.  400 pages.

The Sixth Idea by P.J. Tracy continues the adventures of the Monkeewrench gang of 4 computer geeks and two Minnesota policemen.  In order to full appreciate this series, I think the books should be read in order.   The character development is essential in these novels and having the background of each character makes all the difference.  I noticed it more in this installment because without the background of the previous novels in the series, I wouldn't have had the same sense of commitment to the characters.  

For some reason, this was not my favorite of the Monkeewrench books--maybe because the gang was split up with Annie and Roadrunner off stage throughout most of the book.

Nevertheless, I'm fond of these characters that I always enjoy seeing what they are up to.

Library copy.

Read in Aug.; blog review scheduled for 9/12/16.

Crime/Mystery.  2016.  315 pages.  

10 comments:

  1. First of all, Wonder Woman - yes, please! I'm not as pleased with this P.J. Tracy book either. My husband and I have been listening to it on audio while we travel and we're about halfway. I'm having no problem waiting for our next trip to finish it. I've only read 1 Peter Robinson book. That series is so long, I suspect I need to just start reading them wherever. Goes against my instincts, but still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure why the new P.J. Tracy didn't work as well for me--especially since I've enjoyed the series for so long. I've been a fan of Peter Robinson for a long time and this one was interesting because of its connection to the real Operation Yewtree and some of the problems with celebrities in the U.S.

      Delete
  2. I thought Find Her was a great read; it's the first book by Lisa Gardner I've read, but definitely made me want to read more. And I'm excited to see Wonder Woman, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to see Wonder Woman too. :-) It looks so good!

    I enjoyed The Sixth Idea, but it definitely wasn't their strongest novel. Nor was it without its flaws. I agree about the characterizations. Having some background of the characters definitely would help when reading this one.

    I can't seem to read Peterson's books in order no matter how hard I try. I do enjoy his books, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trailer for Wonder Woman looks so good! I haven't read all of Robinson's books in order, either, but I started reading them years ago. They, too, are uneven, but most are very good. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh that's the first time I've seen the Wonder Woman trailer. I was a huge fan of the tv series as a kid. I sort of wish they had kept the song :) Looks fun so I'm sure I'll see it.

    And, I have to catch up with Inspector Banks. I've fallen behind on the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the little comic bits in the trailer for Wonder Woman. It does look like fun, doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. Yes, I want to watch Wonder Woman too! I always enjoy a kick-butt heroine, be it in books or movies. ;)

    I totally enjoyed reading Find Her; it was a great thriller in my opinion. Of course I've to read the rest of Lisa Gardner's books, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only read three of Gardner's books, but they were all edgy and suspenseful!

      Delete
  6. I feel the same about the new P.J. Tracy book as you and Kay. I've always enjoyed the Monkeewrench series, but this one fell flat, perhaps for the reasons you mentioned (the gang split up in separate locations). It lacked the intense suspense that some of the other books have had. Oh, well. Maybe the next one will be better.

    ReplyDelete