Search This Blog

Sunday, October 15, 2017

A Scandal in Battersea by Mercedes Lackey

I read the first in Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Masters series over ten years ago, and at the time, I intended to read more.  The only other one I've read is The Wizard of London, but I enjoyed both books and don't know why I never followed through with the entire series.

I didn't even realize A Scandal in Battersea was part of the Elemental Masters series, but as soon as I started reading, the familiarity of certain elements was evident.  

There are wizards, psychics, mediums, hobs, and spirits, and a school for young children with magical abilities.    Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson and his wife Mary also play important roles, along with Lord Alderscroft, Master of the White Lodge.

The previous books in the series take a fairy tale as a starting point, but the association is very loose and transferred to the Victorian era.  A Scandal in Battersea makes a slight departure into a folklore figure. 

A vague and powerful evil begins inserting itself into the world, but as young women begin disappearing, the threat increases and London itself could be utterly devastated.  Psychic Nan Killian and Medium Sarah Lyon-White are enlisted by Dr. Watson and Mary to examine a young woman who had herself committed to an asylum for disturbing visions of murders.  Her latest vision is of London in ruins.  The initial question is whether the visions are delusions or evidence of clairvoyant abilities.

Whatever this ancient evil is "..it will take the combined forces of Magic, Psychic Powers, and the worlds greatest detective to stop the darkness before it can conquer all."

It would be an advantage to have read more of the books in this series.  Although the books I read years ago let me recognize a few things, I would like to know more of the background of characters like Nan and Sarah and about some of their previous adventures.  

NetGalley/Berkley Publishing

Fantasy/Supernatural.  Oct. 17, 2017.  Print length:  320 pages.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds really fun. I like the mix of such well known characters like the Holmes crew with other elements!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to go back and pick up the books I've missed, but it was an interesting mix of characters. Nan and Sarah weren't in the previous books I'd read. :)

      Delete
  2. I'll have to look for this series at the library; it sounds like a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll need to check the library, too, so I can backtrack and pick up some of the books I've missed. ;p

      Delete
  3. I don't think I've read anything by this author. This sounds like a fun series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mercedes Lackey is well-known in the fantasy realm and has written a number of different series, but I've only read these 3 in this series and only one in her Hunter series.

      Delete
  4. This is an author I tend to collect, but really do not read enough from. lol I have read some of her books, but don't think they were part of this series. This sounds good, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lackey is a prolific author, and I need to try some of her other series. I really enjoyed Hunter, but haven't read any others in that series.

      Delete
  5. I have read a number of Mercedes Lackey's books over the years (particularly her Valdemar books and a few others), but don't think I've ventured into this series. You've got me curious about this one. I may have to dive into these books as well.

    ReplyDelete