Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2018

The Guilty Ones and Imperfect Memories

The Guilty Ones is the 4th in the DI Rowan Jackman and DS Marie Evans by Joy Ellis.  Why do I enjoy Ellis' books so much?  It has much to do with the ensemble casts that Ellis creates for both this series and her DI Nikki Galena series.  I am at home now in the Fens and with either DI's team.  The characters are familiar, and I enjoy their sense of commitment to each other.  

That feeling of familiarity with characters in a book is similar to the reason I like certain television series.  I like the folks who inhabit the stories, and although the cases and problems are different each time, there is a sense of comfort when rejoining the characters in each new episode or new book.  

When Jackman's sister-in-law commits suicide, circumstances are too close to home.  Why would a happily married woman who adores her children do such a thing?

This one gets a bit elaborate, but kept me engrossed throughout.  The conclusion leaves an opening for a story-arc to be continued.

NetGalley/Joffe Books

Mystery/Crime.  March 14, 2018.  


Imperfect Memories (The Temporal Shift Series Bk 1) by Jody Wenner is an odd book, but one that kept me steadily reading...and wondering.

A bomb explodes in a local coffee shop.  Nina's husband and daughter are among the dead.  A senseless act of terror, but the perpetrator is caught and sent to prison.  

Nina is unable to come to terms with the incident and the loss of her husband and daughter.  She begins having nightmares, difficulty sleeping, gaps in her memory.  Which is odder that it seems because Nina is one of those rare individuals who remembers everything.  She has hyperthmesia, a neurological disorder that enables to her remember with remarkable detail the events in her life.  

As she feels her self unraveling, she approaches the man responsible to get answers.  Who can Nina trust if she can't trust herself?  

A strange book that left me wondering what is really going on.  The conclusion is sort of a "to be continued," as one thing is wrapped up, more questions arise.  A fast read.  I'm in for the next one.

NetGalley

Mystery/Suspense.  Feb. 16, 2018.

13 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about characters in certain mystery series - and the fact that they are like characters on TV shows. And I agree. I've only read one book by Joy Ellis, but hope to read more. Plus, Imperfect Memories sounds like a book I'd like too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really enjoyed Ellis' two series set in the Fens and love the characters she has created. Imperfect Memories is odd and doesn't really end, but I want to see where this one goes.

      Delete
  2. Imperfect Memories sounds so interesting -- a lady with a brilliant memory who starts forgetting is definitely one of the better premises for a mystery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting. While hyperthmesia is a real and very rare condition, there is a edge of science fiction conspiracy going on.

      Delete
  3. Odd books can be good, and the fact that you're willing to read the second book in this series by Jody Wenner says a lot. (And I've set a new bookish goal to finally read a novel by Joy Ellis this year!) Great post. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just curious about where Imperfect Memories is going. I hope you enjoy either of the Joy Ellis series. I like both of them!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Lark. Sometimes an odd story can turn out to be a good one and it sounds like Imperfect Memories is such a case, since it intrigued you enough to want to pick up the next book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a weird book, but the conspiracy intrigues me. :)

      Delete
  5. I get attached to characters in series--I think it's one of the reasons I enjoy reading them so much. It's also what keeps me coming back to certain shows as well.

    Imperfect Memories has me curious, although the ending makes me hesitate. I'd probably want to have it and the second book handy to dive into next. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like becoming invested and then being cut off. It isn't that I was so terribly invested in the characters of Imperfect Memories, but I do want to know what the heck is going on!

      Delete
  6. oh wow so first let me say I'm impressed with HOW MUCH YOU READ Jen!
    I really like how Imperfect Memories sound! [a little too much like the latest news though!] AI have always been fascinated by hyperthmesia! Not sure how I feel about the cliffhanger though :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine having that much information at my fingertips. I can barely remember what went on yesterday, much less details from a birthday party when I was three! The cliffhanger of Imperfect Memories was an annoying surprise. :(

      Delete
  7. Sometimes the ensemble of characters just click with us and we keep coming back right? There are some series I follow which may not have the most intricate of plots or mysteries but it is the characters that make me want to spend time with another book. So I totally agree with you! And, that Memories book sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete