Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Reader and Raelynx by Sharon Shinn

Reader and Raelynx is the final volume in Shinn's Twelve Houses series, and I hated to see this fantasy end.  (disregard the cover image which doesn't look at all like the descriptions Shinn gives of either Cammon or Raelynx)

My favorite is the very first one, Mystic and Rider, which introduces the six main characters and follows them through danger and adventure on the road as they attempt to discover who is murdering mystics.  This is a series that is best read in order because Mystic and Rider creates such a clear picture of Senneth, Tayse, Justin, Kirra, Donal, and Cammon and the tumultuous times of Shinn's realm of Gillengaria.

The successive novels (The Thirteenth House and Dark Moon Defender) feature one or more of the main characters.  The fourth and final installment has all the six characters working together again, although Cammon the mystic reader takes the forefront in this one.

Shinn's writing is vivid and her characters are complicated and full of life.  The realm of Gillengaria is believable, exciting, full of political machinations, and on the verge of war. 

I did feel the conclusion was  rushed and a bit too convenient, but still is satisfactory wrapping up of details.

  The series is comfort fantasy--the kind you like to revisit because you love the characters.  When an author can make me feel so at home in her world, I can't help but feel grateful. 

Other Reviews:  Curled Up with a Good Book; Need More Shelves;

Fiction. Fantasy. 2008.  464 pages.

4 comments:

  1. I read this series a while back, but did you know there is another book after this? It follows a random character, not of the original crew, title: Fortune & Fate. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, so I don't know if it will be good (I hope so though).

    I loved the 1st book best too, and Reader & Raelynx was 2nd favorite :) I seriously want a raelynx after this!

    cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that there is another one, but the reason I liked the first and last one best is because all of the characters were together. Don't know how I'll feel about another character, but hope for the best.

    Now, I think I'll look for one of her other series...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read more from Shinn... I was reading her a lot and then I sort of stopped...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this series, Kailana, but as I was reading this one, I remembered your post about problems with series. :)

    ReplyDelete