Search This Blog

Thursday, August 08, 2019

Age of Assassins by RJ Barker



I read RJ Barker's The Bone Ships  the other day (review scheduled for Sept. 2) and knew it would be probably another year before the next in the series came out.  

So I ordered Age of Assassins, the first in Barker's Wounded Kingdom trilogy.

Age of Assassins is a fantasy, a sort-of murder mystery, and a political conspiracy.  The world-building is typical of medieval fantasy and isn't as innovative as that of The Bone Ships--not that I mind the comfort of a familiar trope or two.

Fifteen-year-old Girton Club-foot is an apprentice to Merela Karn, legendary assassin.  Merela has been summoned by the queen of Maniyadoc for an unusual mission, not an assassination.  The queen fears an assassin has been hired to kill her son, heir to the throne, and she tasks Merela and Girton to uncover the person who hired the assassin.  "To catch an assassin, use an assassin."

Merela, who knows the queen, is reluctant--but the two have a past history and she has no choice  but to accept the mission.  Aware of the dangers, Merela offers Girton the opportunity to leave.  Girton, however, has been with Merela since he was six years old and is fully committed to Merela.  In order to mingle with those in the castle for their investigation, Girton, a skilled swordsman, becomes a clumsy squire, and Merela uses the cover of Death's Jester.

Age of Assassins was RJ Barker's debut novel, but the skill level puts him among the best.

Purchased.
Fantasy/Intrigue.  2017.  Print length:  432 pages.

------
What else do I do besides reading?  Mail art, gardening, craft stuff, trying to get at least 10,000 steps a day.  And the normal chores of laundry, etc. when I feel like it. :)


Happiness is reading the first good book in a series and knowing there is more to follow.




14 comments:

  1. Love the Happiness Is cartoon about starting a new series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It is a cartoon that hits the mark for most book lovers, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with that quote! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Especially as I've found several new series lately!

      Delete
  3. Mystery slash fantasy! Sounds like a good start to a series. Does it end on a cliff hanger...or do you think it could be read as a stand-alone as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plot is wrapped up, but we know that Girton and Merela will be back in the sequel. Some old characters, some new ones, and a new plot which is connected to the first book. :)

      Delete
  4. Just curious...how often do you hit 10,000 steps in a normal day? I find myself peaking out at around 7500 unless I actually go the the gym for a little treadmill time.

    Love the cartoon. One of my favorite things is discovering a long series that I've missed for some reason, only to find that the first book is great and that there are another dozen or so to go. I recently discovered the Outlander series on Netflix and now I'm wondering if the books are worth the effort. They are LONG, but I really love the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My previous goal was 8,000 steps a day, and I had trouble making it. But every day for the last two weeks, I've gotten a minimum of 10,000 steps. It is too hot to walk outside for long, so I started putting my Kindle on large print and walking in the house for 5 minutes every hour, and I find myself walking more than 5 minutes because I can't stop reading! Adding that to my normal pattern of laundry, chores, errands, and a little early morning gardening has amazed me. Now, I enjoy the challenge, and it doesn't bore me like it used to. :)

      My daughter keeps trying to encourage audible books and that might work as well--especially if it ever cools down again.

      I read the first Outlander and enjoyed it, but I never followed up on the series. That was years ago, though.

      Delete
  5. This series sound intriguing; and I love that quote. So true! And, my postcard is on its way to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the second book now. :) That quote describes that feeling quite well. I love a new series that I can look forward to!

      Delete
  6. This sounds like a good start to a trilogy. I do love a good fantasy with a mix of mystery--and assassins too?!

    I probably should do a little laundry tomorrow, now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I love a good fantasy. Easier to see political corruption in an imaginary setting than in the news!

      Delete
  7. Oh I most definitely need to check this author's work out further!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about assassins we love in fiction and despise in real life? :O

      Delete