Search This Blog

Sunday, March 24, 2024

Echogenesis by Gary Gibson


 I really enjoy science fiction, and this was a strange, but fascinating version that has a connection with our current problems-- mixing dystopia, fantasy of sorts, and science possibilities.

Fifteen people awake in a strange place with no idea how they got there or where "there" is.  They awaken in bodies of their much younger selves with no memories after a certain point in their lives, and this, in addition to their unknown surroundings, disturbs them all.  

Also disturbing for some is that their memories of being decades older inside bodies that are so much younger. They must make adjustments to deal with the teenage hormonal changes that make them quicker to anger and quite a bit feistier.

There are plenty of twists, curious and hostile creatures, and an immediate division among the survivors. Humans are humans with all the flaws inherent to our condition.  

One thing that bothered me was the immediate dislike between Sam and Vic.  I would have liked to have seen that develop less quickly, the reason for Sam's aversion to Vic a bit slower for them to understand.

Overall, a Echogenesis is in many ways more thoughtful than all the action suggests. If you enjoy science fiction, this is a book you may find not just full of twists, but an involving mystery of how and why these 15 people are where they are.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not much of a science fiction reader, but your description of this book sounds interesting. Might see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a strange book in several ways, and I debated about it. The solution doesn't come until last section.

      Delete
  2. Hi!!! You're back. Yay. That makes me happy. I've missed your blog posts. And this book does sound like an entertaining one. I love that cover. And I'm always on the lookout for another good science fiction book to put on my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lark! I've been reading the entire time I've been gone, but not reviewing. I hope I can begin to keep up with this blog again!

      Delete
    2. There are many days lately where I don't feel like reviewing the books I've been reading, too. I keep trying to find a more fun way to do it because I don't want to stop blogging or talking about books...but I am getting a little tired of the routine of it all.

      Delete
  3. I just did a double-take when I saw your blog name come up top of my blog roll with a new post. Selfishly, I hope you're back for a while...I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam! I've missed you and this community as well!

      Delete