Search This Blog

Friday, April 05, 2024

The Furies by John Connolly

John Connolly's The Furies is quite different from earlier books in the Charlie Parker series.  It is actually 2 short novels combined.  The first The Sisters Strange was written during the pandemic lockdown daily for 64 days.  The second The Furies which gives the title, perhaps because of the 3 women in The Sisters Strange and the child in The Furies.

In other ways, the book is typical of the Charlie Parker books:  good vs evil, violence, and paranormal.  The violence is less than in earlier books, many of which are certainly not for everyone.  

I never miss a Charlie Parker installment and always look forward to recurring characters, especially Louis and Angel (there is never enough of them).

Connolly is an unusually erudite author and his humor is sharp and witty, often lending comic relief to horrendous situations.  The first time I read Connolly was decades ago and I think I abandoned it in fear.  About 5 years later, I read the second book, and only after starting it did I realize that it was the second in the series, but by then I was hooked, and I've read each book since, 20 so far.  I don't think of myself as a horror fan, but I'm certainly a fan of Charlie Parker.

Horror/mystery
508 pages

8 comments:

  1. I have meant to read this author's books for years. I still have not. I've really wanted to start at the beginning and, if it works well for me, continue with his long-running series. Maybe 2024 is the year to begin. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will take a strong stomach for the first one because Charlie Parker's wife and daughter are murdered. The supernatural element is introduced in the first book. It was several years before I read the second one, but was an avid follower after that.

      Delete
  2. This sounds so good! I haven't read anything by this author, but it sounds like I need to start this series! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy this series, even if the horror and violence keeps me on the edge the entire time. :0

      Delete
  3. I've only read one of his Charlie Parker novels, but I loved it. I'm hoping to read more in that series this year. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connolly is an excellent writer, Lark, and can keep the tension and suspense at maximum intensity. Perfect for Halloween or the R.I.P Challenge (if it is still around).

      Delete
  4. I have only read two of Connolly's novels, Every Dead Thing and A Time of Torment, and it's been several years since I read those two. I remember enjoying his humor and style quite a bit but feeling a little uncomfortable with suspending my disbelief quite so much with parts of his plot. Maybe I should go back and give him another try, beginning at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy his humor, but the paranormal aspect is over the top. And yet, I follow with bated breath in the continuing battle of good vs supernatural evil. ;)

      Delete