Search This Blog

Saturday, June 15, 2024

Lady Anne and the Haunted Schoolgirl by Victoria Hamilton and Dead Silence by S.A. Barnes

I've enjoyed the previous books in this series, but something changed in the way Anne and Tony react that bothers me.  I liked the attraction between the two in the earlier books, but the presentation this time felt both blatant (nothing graphic) and unnecessary to the plot.  Too much time on their eagerness to pursue wedded bliss.  Anne didn't really need Tony until the end.

Lady Anne and the Haunted Schoolgirl is the latest in a light entertaining series that always has Anne uncover a "supernatural" mystery.  

Historic mystery.  Print length:  302 pages 

Thanks to NetGalley and Beyond the Word Publ.


From blurb:  A Best Book of 2022 by the New York Public Library  One of the Best SFF Books of 2022 (Gizmodo) • One of the Best SF Mysteries of 2022 (CrimeReads) • A GoodReads Choice Award finalist for Best Science Fiction!

A crew that responds to a distress call finds the spaceliner that disappeared over twenty years ago.  Despite the weirdness of seeing dead people floating around inside, Claire Kovalik and crew decide to claim the ship for salvage, but they have no idea what they're taking on.  

My opinion is drastically different from the blurb above.  I didn't care for the protagonist, her crew didn't move beyond one dimensional, and an interesting premise turned into something less.  There you go, we all have different opinions, and mine may be in the minority.

Science Fiction.  2022.  Print length:  345 pages.



6 comments:

  1. Books are NOT clutter! I agree. And I'm one of those people who liked Dead Silence more than you did. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it's funny how we agree so wholeheartedly on some books while others just don't make it. Also, when we read a book our mood, extraneous circumstances, etc. often colors our opinion.

      Delete
  2. It's a shame when a science fiction book disappoints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always a risk, isn't it? Especially when it's a book that was looked forward to.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame that neither of these much worked for you, but thanks for the summaries anyway. I think I'll pass on both of them, but at least I'll recognize them now.

    If books were clutter, I'd be in big trouble around here. I like nothing better than to go into someone's home and see books in every room. Instant conversation quickly ensues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are a multitude of things, but never clutter :) I don't think the Lady Ann series would appeal to you, Sam, although I've enjoyed the earliest ones. However, don't take my opinion on Dead Silence, it has some excellent recommendations.

      Delete