Search This Blog

Friday, August 09, 2024

Spirit Crossing by William Kent Krueger

As I mentioned in the previous post, I read Iron Lake in 2017 and had every intention of continuing this series by William Kent Kreuger--but didn't.  The old adage in the reading world:  "So many books; so little time."

When I saw Spirit Crossing offered on NetGalley, I was pleased to have the opportunity to read more by Kreuger.  As it turned out, the book was even better than expected, and I was delighted to reconnect with Cork O'Connor and his family and friends.  

When the daughter of a white politician goes missing, everyone is involved, from local and state police to the FBI.  The same has not been true for a young Objibwe woman...or other Native American women.

When on a day of picking blueberries, Cork's young grandson  discovers a shallow grave, law enforcement descends on the site anticipating the possibility that the politician's daughter has been found.  Cork's young grandson Waaboo (his Obibwe name given by Henry Meloux), however, insists that the body is that of an Objibwe woman and that she is lost.  Crystal Two Knives has been missing for a while, and they wonder if they've found Crystal. 

As it turns out, the body is that of a Native American woman, but not Crystal Two Knives and not the politicians daughter.  The unidentified Native American woman creates little interest in those searching for the politician's daughter.  

Cork's heritage is mixed, and he is part Objibwe and the fact that his grandson has visions doesn't surprise him, but it does concern him.  When Waaboo's visions put him in danger, Cork and his family's concern escalates.

Spirit Crossing's strength lies in Kreuger's prose, his characters, and his adept plotting, as well as the way Kreuger illustrates cultural problems.

Highly recommended; however, I recommend beginning with the first books in the series to become familiar with the characters.   

Because the characters I remembered from Iron Lake (bk 1) had grown so much in the interim, I took my own belated advice and read the second and third in the series and reviewed them in the previous post.

Thanks to NetGalley and Atria Books

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really good series. Krueger is one of those guys I've seen in bookstores for a long time but have never gotten around to much read for some reason.. and that's really strange because the one book of his I remember reading, This Tender Land, turned out to be one of my favorite reads of the infamous Covid year of 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first book in this series and was not impressed. However, I do love his standalones. I've met him a few times, and he's such a great guy that I feel a bit guilty about not caring for Cork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound like a really good one! Yep. Definitely putting this series on my reading list for next year. My first bookish goal for 2025. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Illuminating the night with history, these unique street lamp poles are more than mere fixtures—they're beacons of bygone eras, ready to cast their enchanting glow in new surroundings. A rare opportunity to own a piece of urban artistry and light up your world in extraordinary style.

    ReplyDelete