Search This Blog

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

 There are several different story lines intertwined in Bury Your Dead: a mysterious death in Quebec City where Inspector Gamache is recovering from physical and emotional injuries, flashbacks and references to the events of a tragic operation that resulted in the deaths of several of his men (and his own injuries), and a re-visiting of the closed case in The Brutal Telling

There are also some minor story lines that explore the social constructs of Quebec City, expand the character of Jean Guy Beauvoir, and explore possibilities about the missing remains of Samuel de Champlain, founder of Quebec.

What I enjoyed most was that the history of Quebec, the information about the social divide of English/French,  and the mystery of Champlain's missing remains were so seamlessly embroidered into the mystery.  It was also nice to see Jean Guy Beauvoir open up a little as he visited Three Pines to look at the closed case involving Olivier a little more closely.

At first, I was confused about Gamache's memories concerning the operation that led to the death of his men and his own injuries, and I wondered if I had missed a book.  No, that story line is revealed slowly through Gamache's thoughts as he continues his emotional healing.

A good read!  In fact, this is my favorite (by far) of the series!

Other reviews:  Book ChaseSo Many Books,

Fiction.  Mystery.  2010.  384 pages.

7 comments:

  1. JenClair, BURY YOUR DEAD was my favorite Gamache mystery so far as well. I think that Louise Penny's writing has become, for me, an art form. Looking forward to where she takes these characters in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good read. I like books interspersed with history.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your favorite in the series so far? Ok, I'm definitely going to read this one. I was disappointed with the previous book because of the ending but I do think her mysteries are really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good, I like stories that take place in Quebec. There aren't enough

    ReplyDelete
  5. Iliana - I enjoyed the last book, mainly because I liked the characters, but had a few problems with the plot in the last one.

    I didn't have any problems with the plot(s) in this one and liked the pacing.

    bookmagic -- It is nice to get variety and history in the settings. Quebec City has a complicated history, and I enjoyed learning a little about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I can't keep up with you, but I have this loooooong list of "to read" books from here.

    All joys to you and yours,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon - I'm just getting back to blogging after a month long hiatus, and I found your comment waiting to be published. Now the odd, serendipitous thing is that I got your book out this morning and was rereading it with my morning cup of coffee. Then, I find your comment waiting in limbo to be published! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season!

    ReplyDelete