Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

How Firm a Foundation by David Weber

I have some favorite authors whose books keep me enthralled, and David Weber is my very favorite in the science fiction genre.  How Firm a Foundation is the 4th in the Safehold series; I love this series, maybe even more than the Honor Harrington books.

I read a lot of series out of order and don't usually find it a challenge, but David Weber's books really do need to be read in order.  All of his books are long, complex, and full of characters; in How Firm a Foundation there are 28 pages listing characters.  By this latest book in the series, of course, many of the characters are dead, having met their ends in previous books in the series, but new characters have been added.

But here's the thing that really makes me marvel--almost every character has a distinct personality, even if that character doesn't last long.   None are simply cardboard drones. There are a lot of major players located in different countries, and each of these have fully rounded personalities and lives.

How Firm a Foundation continues the saga of the fight for survival of the Charisian Empire as they battle The Church of God Awaiting and its corrupt and fanatic leaders.

The series begins with Off Armageddon Reef which I reviewed in 2007.  I love the way the people of Charis begin a renaissance of technology.  Now I have to wait for September for the publication of the next installment.

Fiction.  Science Fiction.  2011.  607 pages.

2 comments:

  1. Weber is on my list. One day I will read him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kailana - I love Weber, but his books are very military. Not sure why I love all the military strategy and weaponry, but I do!

    ReplyDelete