Search This Blog

Thursday, December 05, 2013

Frustrated

My iPad, which has my Kindle,  had to go to the i Doctor.  Worse, the necessary battery had to  be ordered.  In the middle of two books that I can't read, with several more in line that have been eagerly calling me, I was most vexed.  Fortunately, a real book was available, Stella Bain by Anita Shreve, an ARC that has managed to captivate me so far.  

I've read a couple of books by Shreve that I liked, but did not love, so finding myself so quickly immersed in this story set during WWI has been a nice surprise.  Still, I feel bereft with the temporary loss of my iPad and books in progress.

Bad weather moving this way.  From 79 degrees yesterday to 43 degrees and dropping today.   Rain, sleet, ice predicted.  Hope nothing interferes with my iPad being returned tomorrow!  That is my major concern.  I'm so petty, so trivial, but I NEED my books.


7 comments:

  1. I would feel so lost without my Kindle--even with my stacks of print books to keep me occupied. I hope your iPad arrives without problem tomorrow as well!

    Stella Bain isn't one I've heard of. It sounds good though. I'll have to look for it when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how you feel! My e-reader, I have a Samsung one, had to be sent away for warranty work because it got squashed! I am very sad because it is going to be at least a week. It happened a week ago or so and I really miss it. It has all the e-book apps on it and I had a dedicated e-reader, but I never used it so I gave it away.

    Hope yours arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was in the middle of something riveting (In The Garden of Beasts) when my Nook bellied up. Then I was at a really exciting part in Germinal when my first Kindle turned its little backlit face to the wall. I feel your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy - Yep, I have several books with pages in the stacks, but the Kindle holds the ones I'm currently reading. And lost is the perfect word for what I feel. ;(

    Finished Stella Bain last night and really liked it!

    Kelly - How attached we become to our book sources! I never expected to become so dependent on my Kindle, I had a dedicated Kindle that died, but it was so easy to move to the Kindle on the iPad. Hope your e-reader returns home soon!

    Susan - e-readers provide such instant satisfaction. If you need a book at 11:30 at night, it can miraculously appear while you stay in your pj's and download it. When an e-reader dies in the middle of a book--disaster and frustration. When my original Kindle "turned its backlit face to the wall," I was shocked, but turned immediately to the Kindle app on my iPad. Thanks for the commiseration--one sufferer to another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel! My Kindle has been misbehaving lately too. It is currently being good, but I don't trust it. I hope you get your iPad back from the doctor in good health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit to having both a kindle and an iPad mini. This may be extravagant of me but at least I do hope it means that I never find myself in the same situation. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stefanie - :0 An uneasy feeling when you don't trust your Kindle!

    Alex - Not extravagant at all. Better safe than sorry, right?

    ReplyDelete