Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2015

Wounded Prey by Sean Lynch

Wounded Prey

Vicious crimes.  Too blood-thirsty for my taste.  

You know how books seem to come in various cycles?  Sometimes you will read three or more books in a short span of time that have a similar theme or plot?  I've read three books lately with vigilantes.  

This one has a retired detective and a rookie cop teamed up to put an end to the crimes of an psychopathic killer.  And "by put an end to," I mean they intend to kill him, not capture him.  Not that you feel any sympathy for the killer--his crimes are horrendous.

OK, I did like Farrell and Kearns, the protagonists, but I think this one is a little too dark for me.  This is the first in a series featuring the two protagonists, but in spite of liking them, I don't know that I'll continue the series.

NetGalley

Crime.  2013; March 24, 2015.  Print version:  384 pages.

9 comments:

  1. I can understand a novel being too dark for your tastes. I tend to like dark, but if something is particularly disturbing, it has to *really* compel me, in some way, to be worth the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aside from liking the main characters, I wasn't impressed with several elements about the plot. "Dark" may make me uncomfortable, but like you say, there needs to be something that makes it worth the ride.

      Delete
  2. Hmm... I don't know about this. But I suppose I may give it a try. I've read a few thrillers that are dark in a sense that the way the murderers kill is too horrific and unimaginable. But this one seems different, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole thing was a bit too fantastic for me--not that truth isn't often stranger than fiction. :)

      Delete
  3. This one sounds a little dark for me, too. But then, I'm not really into the vigilante justice thing. It's not my favorite plot premise. Hopefully your next book will be better. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several reviews I read after I finished the book actually had warnings about the violence. I'll leave the sequels to others.

      Delete
  4. Oh I don't know about this one. I love mysteries and I don't mind some violence but I feel like some writers sometimes tend to go overboard. There's no need to make things too gruesome. You'll have to let us know if you do end up checking out the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm often irritated with gratuitous violence, but still enjoy mysteries and crime novels. This one was over the top with some of the scenes. Nah, I won't read the next one.

      Delete
  5. If it's too dark for you, it is probably too dark for me. It probably doesn't help that I'm not especially keen on psychotic serial killers right now.

    ReplyDelete